Can anyone tell me what these wispys are?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395053674.879575.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's a batch of cascade ipa that has been fermenting for a week

Might be yeast on the side of your fermenter. I cannot tell from photo.
this is possible....op, perhaps twist/swirl the fermenter a few times, see if it "falls" off the sides and settles. Looks a lil unusual, but could very well just be a dusting of yeast....mine just seem to collect in the "grooves"/"ribs" of the carboy, but, hey, who knows? I've never experienced any sort of infection in my brews, and pics all seem to be floating on top, so.....it's probably just a dusting of yeast clinging to the side

That is definitely on the inside right? I have had gunk on the outside of my carboy from spills look like that.

Looks like yeast that flocced out and stuck to the inside of the carboy. My most recent lagers looked spotty on the inside of the bottles for a couple of weeks.

Yup, it was spotless, and sanitized with San-star, it's definitely on the inside, and the it doesn't stink. I'll see if it'll fall back in after work.

I only have one batch under my belt but it is the Midwest Hop Head double IPA. I used Wyeast 1056 which is a low-medium flocculating yeast. I had streaks that looked a lot like that and I just rotated the carboy about a quarter turn and the streaks moved and fell away. I am pretty sure that is just yeast on the sides.

Even though I have only brewed one batch, I have definitely learned to Relax, Don't Worry, And Have A Home Brew (or in my case a micro brew) :D

Back