campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsss

Reaction score
Haven't heard many members speaking about campden tablets? Are they a no-no? Seems like most people are boiling their water....

Brad

Campden tablets are used by any brewer that needs to use a municipal water source for brewing.
Boiling or letting brewing water sit over night will eliminate chlorine, but not chloramines. The campden tablets will eliminate the chloramines.

I use campden tablets (more specifically potassium metabisulphite) because they're quick/easy and get rid of chlorine/chloramine nearly instantaneously.

Even if I could boil (my city uses chloramine) a tablet's so much easier/faster.

Use at a rate of 1 tablet per 20 gallons of water, assuming your city uses about 2 ppm of chlorine/chloramine (which most do).

Kal

I use campden tablets (more specifically potassium metabisulphite) because they're quick/easy and get rid of chlorine/chloramine nearly instantaneously.

Even if I could boil (my city uses chloramine) a tablet's so much easier/faster.

Use at a rate of 1 tablet per 20 gallons of water, assuming your city uses about 2 ppm of chlorine/chloramine (which most do).

Kal

Back