Campden + Iodophor = hello bugs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mario_silent

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm concerned with my new practice of using Sodium metabisulfite for removing chlorine from my sanitizer mix with Iodophor. I'm trying to meassure the campden amount very accurately but sometimes I just make a very small sanitizing solution so I add a very small pinch of the metabisulfite.

The thing is, when I add the metabisulfite to the water and then the Iodophor, it won't turn amber as usual unless I add a big amount of iodophor. My biggest concern is that a chemical reaction is taking place and the sanitizer is being neutralized. I can smell the iodine and there are bubbles, but I once read that the color of the solution is an indication of the effectiveness of it so, is this entirely true? can I trust this transparent liquid with bubbles?

Even letting the water sit overnight with the campden and adding the Iodophor next morning, the same thing happens so I'd like to hear from someone with experience in this subject if I should be concerned or do something else. I started doing this because I've had many batches with phenols and until recently I started thinking about the sanitizer water which definitely has chlorine in there. I've tested it and adding the metabisulfite does make it go away.

Thanks a lot! :mug:

Have you considered using a spray bottle and distilled water? That might be easier.

Have you considered using a spray bottle and distilled water? That might be easier.

Let's say yes and no. I'd like to, but here in Mexico it's not that easy to come across distilled water, maybe at some drugstores but not at Walmarts or convenience stores like those.

Also, for the purpose of sanitating bottles (about 48, I have no means for kegging right now) I make a bucket of sanitizer and submerge a bunch of buttles at the same time so distilled water is not such a great option. Maybe for some surfaces like flasks, thermometer, funel and such but I don't think that's a good choice for my large amount of bottles :(

Thanks for the reply!

Back