Calypso Hops Review

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sativen

Reaction score
I had the first glass of my single hop Calypso pale Saturday. It's a decent hop. I can get some of the apple characteristics that it's described as having, but no pear. The apple is sort of a tart apple (but no, the batch is not infected).

It's got a citrus taste to it, someone described it as Meyer lemon. (I don't recall what those taste like, so I can't comment on that). I would say it's like a tart grapefruit, but different from Centennial and Cascade. I don't think it's great on it's own (that could change with the grains, too), but paired with some other hops, it will be interesting to play with more.

I didn't get any cat piss that people describe with some hops, but I've only noticed this from mass amounts of Citra.

Reaction score
I just got some last week to give a shot. I have a full pound to play with I figured for $8/9 "what the hell why not" when I was ordering some other hops. I'm thinking about using these as flavor hops in some of the belgians I make. I'm thinking a fruity hop like this might work in a wit. I have used citra in a saison and it's damn tasty.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would bring it back up. I think calypso are an absolute waste of a cool name. I have used them in the past in combination with other hops, but recently I made a smash brew with them. 5 gallons with a 2.5oz flameout addition and 2.5oz dry hop... I'm not getting anything out of this hop...what little aroma and flavor there is, doesn't do anything for me. What a big disappointment!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew