Calling all smokers! Smoked rye porter recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Smoked rye porter
Specialty Smoked Beer
All Grain (4.00 gal) ABV: 6.23 %
OG: 1.068 SG FG: 1.020 SG
IBUs: 32.6 IBUs Color: 38.0 SRM
By:
Ingredients

6 lb - Smoked Malt
Mash addition (53.3%) - 5.0 SRM

1 lb 12.0 oz - Chocolate Rye Malt
Mash addition (15.6%) - 250.0 SRM

2 lb - Rye Malt
Mash addition (17.8%) - 4.7 SRM

1 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (8.9%) - 2.0 SRM

8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
Mash addition (4.4%) - 40.0 SRM

1.00 oz - Fuggles
Boil 60 min (18.4 IBUs)

1.00 oz - Fuggles
Boil 30 min (14.2 IBUs)

Dennys wyeast 1450

Mash 155 60 min

Have never brewed a smoked ale so this is a shot in the dark at a recipe. The smoked malt will be cherrywood. Looking for a big bold rich beer. Thanks!

I am hoping that the high rye content and higher smoke content will play well together. Are my IBUs looking about right?

Brew day revised recipe.

Smoked rye porter
Specialty Smoked Beer
All Grain (4.00 gal) ABV: 6.78 %
OG: 1.071 SG FG: 1.020 SG
IBUs: 31.7 IBUs Color: 40.7 SRM
By:
Ingredients

6 lb - Smoked Malt (cherry wood)
Mash addition (50.5%) - 5.0 SRM

2 lb - Chocolate Rye Malt
Mash addition (16.8%) - 245.0 SRM

2 lb - Rye Malt
Mash addition (16.8%) - 3.5 SRM

1 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (8.4%) - 2.0 SRM

8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
Mash addition (4.2%) - 40.0 SRM

6.1 oz - Munich Malt
Mash addition (3.2%) - 8.0 SRM

1.00 oz - Fuggles
Boil 60 min (17.9 IBUs)

1.00 oz - Fuggles
Boil 30 min (13.8 IBUs)

1 pkg - Dennys yeast
Wyeast Labs #1450

Mash @ 156 60min

Water profile
Ca 97
Mg 5.5
Na 21
Cl 104
So4 62
Will post results in 4 weeks

Last edited:
Stupid question, but does smoked malt retain appreciable diastatic power? IE, can it actually convert other grains? I swear I've seen "0" values in tables online...

Stupid question, but does smoked malt retain appreciable diastatic power? IE, can it actually convert other grains? I swear I've seen "0" values in tables online...

I too wondered about that. That is One of the reasons I added 1# of 2 row. I believe the malt used it pale ale that they smoked with Cherry wood but that could be incorrect. I hit 70% efficiency on brew day so I believe it can convert just fine. Btw if I had to do it again I would have used pale ale malt instead of just two row. Im worried the flavors will be too sharp. The only thing I had on hand was Munich malt so I was hoping it would soften flavors up but with only 6oz I'm not expecting much. Time will tell!

update
Checked gravity today due to yeast being completely dropped out for several days. (used starter, nutrient, aeration, controlled temp). Gravity was at 1.031 which is concerning. Going to gently swril yeast and raise temp to higher end of range. (fermented at 65. Will raise to 70) other than that I am extremely pleased with the results! Fantastic balance between smoke, chocolate, and spice finish with very little evidence of being a 1.031 fg. only 10 days old too. Really hoping I can get this thing down to projected fg without any harm to beer.

update
Checked gravity today due to yeast being completely dropped out for several days. (used starter, nutrient, aeration, controlled temp). Gravity was at 1.031 which is concerning. Going to gently swril yeast and raise temp to higher end of range. (fermented at 65. Will raise to 70) other than that I am extremely pleased with the results! Fantastic balance between smoke, chocolate, and spice finish with very little evidence of being a 1.031 fg. only 10 days old too. Really hoping I can get this thing down to projected fg without any harm to beer.
So the gravity wouldn't budge form 1.031. I ended up adding some amylase enzyme to try and push it along. It dropped it to 1.025 in a week then stopped. The gravity sample is surprisingly dry for that type of gravity. I'm assuming it's due to such a high rye content. It is under co2 pressure in keg now. Should have more tasting tasting notes in a couple days when I shake this cold and am able to actually taste things again!

Sounds nice! I've used smoked rye when I can find it, otherwise do a 50/50 smoked barley and rye to try to get the same effect. I am no fan of rye at all, but in a smoke beer it adds that je ne sais quoi that is perfect.

Most smoked malt definitely has the diastatic power of a typical base malt. The smoking is accomplished during the drying process that is part of the normal malting process.

Beer was carbed and bottled. I think I will call this one a smoked chocolate porter. Not getting any rye anymore. I think tho, due to the high rye % it is keeping this from being overly sweet. The smoke is not overpowering either. I do enjoy the flovor of the chocolate rye. If I had to do it again I would add a lb of rye and take away an lb of the chocolate rye. Not a bad beer by any means. Sent it off to a local competition to see what someone with a little better palate has to say about it.

Latest posts

Back