Calling All Metal Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but I gota stir the **** pot and make it stink for a minute....

You say "Tool isn't Metal...This is fact". Where is your fact? Or is this your opinion? While I think every man is entitled to their own opinion, please show your facts

Here are my facts.:

Genres: Alternative metal, art rock, progressive metal, progressive rock

Grammy awards and nominations
Year Nominated work Award Result
1998 "Ænema" Best Metal Performance Won
1998 Ænima Best Recording Package Nominated
1998 "Stinkfist" Best Music Video, Short Form Nominated
2002 "Schism" Best Metal Performance Won
2007 10,000 Days Best Recording Package Won
2007 "Vicarious" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated
2008 "The Pot" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated

So, the awards they won were in the "Metal" catagory, and the Nominated but not won was in the "Hard Rock" catagory.

Sorry man, while I respect your opinion, it is my opinion that TOOL is Metal !

Don't get upset...I'm just poking the sleeping bear and having some fun. In the words of Tesla "Call it what you want", it's all good music regardless of the category.

Honestly, I trust a true disciple like headbanger to pigeon hole bands over "the grammies". I bet that if asked, TOOL resented being put into those categories, BUT, you make a good point. I myself wondered "where is the line drawn between metal and rock?". It must be either a fine line or a big grey one.

I'm sorry, but I gota stir the **** pot and make it stink for a minute....

You say "Tool isn't Metal...This is fact". Where is your fact? Or is this your opinion? While I think every man is entitled to their own opinion, please show your facts

Here are my facts.:

Genres: Alternative metal, art rock, progressive metal, progressive rock

Grammy awards and nominations
Year Nominated work Award Result
1998 "Ænema" Best Metal Performance Won
1998 Ænima Best Recording Package Nominated
1998 "Stinkfist" Best Music Video, Short Form Nominated
2002 "Schism" Best Metal Performance Won
2007 10,000 Days Best Recording Package Won
2007 "Vicarious" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated
2008 "The Pot" Best Hard Rock Performance Nominated

So, the awards they won were in the "Metal" catagory, and the Nominated but not won was in the "Hard Rock" catagory.

Sorry man, while I respect your opinion, it is my opinion that TOOL is Metal !

Don't get upset...I'm just poking the sleeping bear and having some fun. In the words of Tesla "Call it what you want", it's all good music regardless of the category.

No worries man, no offense taken. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, just as I am and I have heard Tool referred to as "progressive alternative metal" and the like an also lumped into "nu-metal" genres with bands like Korn, which is fine, though mistaken IMO.

To me, however, it's a simple matter of guitar riffs and arrangement of the music. Listen to the riffs and time changes instead of keying on distortion and palm muting. I can hear it right away, the rock based riffs that Tool uses, almost exclusively, and the standard rock time signatures, although progressive at times (think Rush), don't have any basis in traditional or progressive metal whatsoever.

This is why I don't consider Tool a metal band and I never will unless they actually start playing metal instead of rock.

With that said, I'd also like to point out that I don't consider bands like Korn and Slipknot metal bands either, along with the majority of that "nu-metal" garbage that the music media tries to push on kids nowadays.

But that's just my opinion.

:mug:

To me, however, it's a simple matter of guitar riffs and arrangement of the music. Listen to the riffs and time changes instead of keying on distortion and palm muting. I can hear it right away, the rock based riffs that Tool uses, almost exclusively, and the standard rock time signatures, although progressive at times (think Rush), don't have any basis in traditional or progressive metal whatsoever.

This is why I don't consider Tool a metal band and I never will unless they actually start playing metal instead of rock.

With that said, I'd also like to point out that I don't consider bands like Korn and Slipknot metal bands either, along with the majority of that "nu-metal" garbage that the music media tries to push on kids nowadays.

But that's just my opinion.

I see your point, they are deffinitely a world apart from Sabbath, Preist or Iron Maiden, but with the way things progress in the world, is anyone like that anymore? Megadeth's 13 album is awsome, but is it the same as Peace Sells? Some songs, yes but not all, or even Anthrax's Worship music, which is a good metal album, but do all the songs hold a candle to Among The Living?

I'm 43 and while I have a fondness for the old school metal, I like the Nu Metal "Tool, God Smack, Korn, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch" they are today like our Metal was to us in the 80's. There is no place in my heart for any of that throat grunting type music they call metal, it's just not for me.

Who today would you consider true Metal, and I mean as it was when it was created? Ratt came out with a new one acouple of years ago called Infested, not great, but it did sound 80ish. Maybe that's why it wasn't that good.

I think Metal has evolved, and into a new generation which can still be labled as metal, unfortunately we have to evolve with it.

It's all good music however it's labeled

I see your point, they are deffinitely a world apart from Sabbath, Preist or Iron Maiden, but with the way things progress in the world, is anyone like that anymore? Megadeth's 13 album is awsome, but is it the same as Peace Sells? Some songs, yes but not all, or even Anthrax's Worship music, which is a good metal album, but do all the songs hold a candle to Among The Living?

I'm 43 and while I have a fondness for the old school metal, I like the Nu Metal "Tool, God Smack, Korn, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch" they are today like our Metal was to us in the 80's. There is no place in my heart for any of that throat grunting type music they call metal, it's just not for me.

Who today would you consider true Metal, and I mean as it was when it was created? Ratt came out with a new one acouple of years ago called Infested, not great, but it did sound 80ish. Maybe that's why it wasn't that good.

I think Metal has evolved, and into a new generation which can still be labled as metal, unfortunately we have to evolve with it.

It's all good music however it's labeled

Well put.

Tool sounds NOTHING like Elvis, so how is it rock?

It is, because everything has to evolve. If "Metal" or anything else just fits into this little square box, then eventually you are talking to yourself and spinning your wheels while everyone else has moved on.

I guarantee that we could find a few Elvis die hards that claim that "Rock" is what Elvis played, not this new fangled BS.

There has to be a middle ground. With nothing new, anything would stagnate.

Recycling the old riffs, and somewhat changing chords and rythms is not creating something NEW.

Well put.

Tool sounds NOTHING like Elvis, so how is it rock?

It is, because everything has to evolve. If "Metal" or anything else just fits into this little square box, then eventually you are talking to yourself and spinning your wheels while everyone else has moved on.

I guarantee that we could find a few Elvis die hards that claim that "Rock" is what Elvis played, not this new fangled BS.

There has to be a middle ground. With nothing new, anything would stagnate.

Recycling the old riffs, and somewhat changing chords and rythms is not creating something NEW.

Yeah, well that's just your opinion man...

the-big-lebowski-movie-image-01.jpg

Oh Man, I don't even know where to begin...

First off, it all had a good metal sound, I'm not much into what I call "Nordic Metal".

That one guy on the right of the Enforce album, he looks like Kevin Debrow. Some of that stuff reminded me a bit of Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, Queensryche and Dragonforce.

It was all solid sounding metal.

Try these !! This is Good Metal

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cant get into the screaming singers. I will be listening to something that sounds outstanding (like dethlock the other night) then the singer starts and I turn it off.I never got "into" all of pantera but if you could listen to the music without the vocals it was incredible. Being a guitar player I can appreciate good music.

Oh Man, I don't even know where to begin...

First off, it all had a good metal sound, I'm not much into what I call "Nordic Metal".

That one guy on the right of the Enforce album, he looks like Kevin Debrow. Some of that stuff reminded me a bit of Judas Preist, Iron Maiden, Queensryche and Dragonforce.

It was all solid sounding metal.

Try these !! This is Good Metal

Good pick with the Grim Reaper, if you look back a few posts I put up a pretty good Aces High cover they did back in the day. Here's a few more for you...

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! Way to go OP!

As a formally trained musician, I love, listen to, and appreciate all kinds of music (jazz included), but metal is among the more fun ones to listen to for me. I thought I listened to some pretty heavy stuff, like Pantera, Slayer, Killswitch Engage, Meshuggah, Tool, Metallica, etc. until I met my SWMBO. :-D

First time I met her, we were talking about music we were into, and she said, "Oh, Slayer? Yeah, they're pretty good- kinda soft though." That's when I knew I had someone special on my hands. ;)

She's from a Norwegian background, and has subsequently schooled me on the likes of:

Dimmu Borgir (far and away her favorite)
Behemoth
Amon Amarth
Finntroll
Mastodon
Korpiklaani
Death
Dethklok
Enslaved
In Flames
Dawn of Ashes
and more

And I thank her kindly for it! ;)

Cheers :mug:

I just recently learned that Arch Enemy's vocalist is female. I had no idea. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but I'm still using them to fuel my intense gym sessions so it's all good :)

I just recently learned that Arch Enemy's vocalist is female. I had no idea. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but I'm still using them to fuel my intense gym sessions so it's all good :)

God how I love that woman...

images

Oh well, check this out...

First time I met her, we were talking about music we were into, and she said, "Oh, Slayer? Yeah, they're pretty good- kinda soft though." That's when I knew I had someone special on my hands. ;)

She's from a Norwegian background, and has subsequently schooled me on the likes of:

Dimmu Borgir (far and away her favorite)
Behemoth
Amon Amarth
Finntroll
Mastodon
Korpiklaani
Death
Dethklok
Enslaved
In Flames
Dawn of Ashes
and more

And I thank her kindly for it! ;)

Cheers :mug:

Awesome! Check and see if she's down with OMC...

:rockin:

Wait. You now have mixed feelings about a band you enjoy, because you now know the lead singer is a woman?.............

Overkill is still one of the best live bands around. I have been listening to old bands from my younger days.

Nasty Savage
Savatage
Metal Church

Well I just received a promo for the new Christopher Bowes project Gloryhammer and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed! Don't get me wrong, I liked the majority of the stuff he did with Alestorm but it never really blew me away like this Gloryhammer record just did. Sorry for the cheesy video but it's all I could find on utube...

as of late i've been listening to a lot of Baroness........a......lot.

Today's forecast calls for a 100% chance of pure epicosity...

I love songs that get more complex the deeper you dig into them. That one is about Elizabeth Bathory, the infamous Blood Countess. The lyrics make far more sense after reading about her... Not a very nice lady. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Báthory

Ah yes, nothing keeps one's skin soft and supple like bathing in fresh virgin's blood once or twice a day, or so I've heard.

The intro is absolutely amazing, exactly what I love in music. The growling lyrics put me off unfortunately.

Do you like pirates? Do you like metal? Do you like epic music videos? If you answered yes to any of these questions... :D

One of the greatest metal bands of the 90s barely anyone has ever heard of...

(one of my proudest vinyls to have obtained, next to my Down-Nola vinyl)

The band's bassist died in an MVC which led to the demise of the band. Through this eventually rose Nola black metal legends Goatwhore, and one of my favorite albums of all time,

Agents of Oblivion (stoner rock)

i could listen to this track till the end of time..

cool vid for a song from one of their demos that was never put on the polished album

trust me, all metal fans for some reason fall victim to falling in love with Agents; such a hypnotic band once you start listening...

i could go on and on especially about Dax Riggs related projects.. :)

Back