calling all disc golfers.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The super soft and flexy Blowfly? I've one. It's a fun disc and can do cool stuff once you learn it... or even on accident, as is the case here.

Yeah, the floppy guy. Pretty much like it says; flip flat fly straight. It takes some getting used to, but it's a great disc. Really controllable and has already given me two birdies by flopping over the edge of the basket and then in. And yeah, totally by accident, I'm a horrible putter and every little bit helps.

Dan, it was great throwing with you guys yesterday. That course was great. Reminded me of Dolese Park back in OKC.

I got me a Wham-O!

wham-o.jpg

I was just in central Oregon near the the Mt. Bachelor ski resort. They have a ski lift that run in the summer so people can go up and eat, hike, take pics and hang out. When we got up there we noticed a folf course. That sucker goes all the way down a ski run. I'm not talking about a short east coast ski run, I'm talking about a legit cascade mountain beast. You guys would freak the eff out. Check it out. Looked pretty dam awesome.

Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort

Hansen Park. Great li'l 12 hole right up the road.

image-1909410652.jpg

image-701112854.jpg

One of the oldest courses in the Cities. 1979. About half of the baskets are these old snow cones, makes for some challenging putts when you're used to chains.

And Bryant Lake Park in Eden Prairie, MN. One of three Three Rivers courses. Each one epic.

image-774999778.jpg

image-3866434677.jpg

image-4213454374.jpg

image-1125861704.jpg

BLP is one of the best courses I've ever played. Extremely well maintained, great mix of wide open and wooded shots and tons of elevation change (for MN).

We've got a few nice ones in the Milwaukee area too, but it's a bit of traveling to get to the best ones in the state (The 5 Highbridge courses, Rollin' Ridge, Winter Park, and Justin Trails BB).

Excuse my ignorance, but where do you find if a course is rated as gold/platinum?

Anyone in the Sonora area? I know we have one course up in Twain Harte but I live on 160acres and we just take the goal out and play. Once this heat dies down I would love to get together with anyone out here and drink some beer and play some Disc.

Winter Park looks awesome. I have some family in Door Co., I may have to pay them a visit one day. :)

Usually the courses will claim those ratings, though I think that the PDGA rates courses. Around here, only the "pay to play" courses and/or ones that get a lot of tourney play claim a rating. I think it's more a thing players do to describe a course.

I haven't played Winter yet. I went on a DG road trip in June, and we lost a good portion of the day to a thunderstorm. But I did get to play Rollin' Ridge. That place is absolutely incredible. I don't even know what more you could ask from a course.

You should definitely stop there on the way to Door County.

Well... I went and played Arcadia #2 in North Richland Hills, TX for the first time yesterday. Day started off great, I was playing one of my best rounds! Then on hole 17, I lost this guy. it was the only hole that it could have been lost on; the only part of the course where the creek was deep enough you can't see the bottom. If anyone happens to ever be snorkeling and comes across it, please return it to me!

Star Vulcan.jpg

Sorry for your loss. That's an awesome stamp, curious where you got it. I am thinking about cutting out at lunch time today to go knock out a round, and then brew up a 2 hearted clone this evening for an upcoming beer festival and transfer a Janet's Brown to the keg for dryhopping. Shaping up to be a pretty nice Wednesday. :ban:

I am here in CA bay area. I like playing SF a lot and it's fairly hard to lose discs there although I have lost one with the last throw of the day at dawn/dusk. I am hoping to get out there again soon as I havent thrown in a couple months. I am a side arm righty and like pretty over stable discs like the boss, ape, firebird, wraith, etc. I am pretty much an innova guy and have my way too big double strap bad with like 25discs. Mostly drivers. I should work on my forehand to become more dynamic...

I play hippie golf! HB is my home course but play el Dorado and LA Mirada too. I have a bag full of 20 discs but I can get by with only my star boss, champion monarch and my soft banger gt.

i throw a lot of latitude 64 stuff. Pretty much everything except my ions which I use for anything inside 175ish

Me too, Stilleto, Striker, Pure. Striker kicks a$$. Also throw a Nuke and for middy's a Buzz or Dga Blowfly. Blowfly doubles as a great putter too.

I try to get out at least 4 times a week. There is a course within 10 minutes of where I live and is on a hobby farm. Quick 12 hole course yet challenging enough to have a good time.

And Bryant Lake Park in Eden Prairie, MN. One of three Three Rivers courses. Each one epic.

BLP is one of the best courses I've ever played. Extremely well maintained, great mix of wide open and wooded shots and tons of elevation change (for MN).

Just was there last night! I've been playing there for a couple years and I agree. Really, really nice course.

Sorry for your loss. That's an awesome stamp, curious where you got it. I am thinking about cutting out at lunch time today to go knock out a round, and then brew up a 2 hearted clone this evening for an upcoming beer festival and transfer a Janet's Brown to the keg for dryhopping. Shaping up to be a pretty nice Wednesday. :ban:

Sounds much like my day yesterday! I brewed up the Mojave Red that is on here, except I think my LHBS left out one of the crystal malts, it didn't look very "red" going into the fermenter...

Anyway, I made that disc myself and was definitely my favorite. You can see my others in a previous post in this thread. It took several hours of patience, 100% Acetone, finding a photo I could make a stencil out of, some photo editing, a lightbox, sheet of vinyl, X-Acto knife, Rit clothing dye, a large stock pot, and more patience, but got it done! Guess I'll just have to do it again, fortunately I saved my work!

It always sucks losing a disc you're partial to; even moreso when you've put that much effort into making it what it is.
I've always liked Sidewinders for distance, but they don't seem to like me...lost one to an overgrown ditch, another to a lake (first round using a new one, no less). I always manage to find my Coyote tho, and unless I'm throwing a mile to the basket, that works just fine for driving. Inherited a Monarch during a split with an old girlfriend, to which I've taken a bit of a shine. And of course there's the Blowfly, which is weird and awesome and grabs chains like an angry chimp on a swingset.
My latest batch of blonde ale, which is rather good if I may say so, struck me as a good disc brew -- t's been a looong time since I was at the course, and I think it's insinuating that I should pack up a sixer and get out to throw some disc.

I lost my destroyer a few months back. I thought I loved that disc. Losing it got me to start using my boss more and my game really improved.

I lost my destroyer a few months back. I thought I loved that disc. Losing it got me to start using my boss more and my game really improved.

I had one too. Found a different one though. I had a boss for a little bit, in the blizzard plastic. Wasn't too big of a fan. Maybe it was too light for me.

I had one too. Found a different one though. I had a boss for a little bit, in the blizzard plastic. Wasn't too big of a fan. Maybe it was too light for me.

Yeah...I can't throw anything lighter than a 172....or they become rollers.

Oh dude, we should meet up and throw BL before the summer's up. Place is awesome! I might be heading out there this afternoon/evening with the other brewer at Day Block. I'll shoot ya a txt if we do.

We are going tomorrow afternoon. I will give you a call and see if you can make it. Would love to throw a round or two with ya.

We are going tomorrow afternoon. I will give you a call and see if you can make it. Would love to throw a round or two with ya.

Yeah, I didn't go out to BL, we ended up throwing a 12 hole right up the road. Chucked par. :tank: And anytime you wanna go, lemme know, I have a Three Rivers pass and have yet to play Hyland Ski..... :D

Back