Call me lazy, labels are a pain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you have a beer that you brew on the regular, a label is a great idea. For me, I'm still in the brew something new every time stage. So I don't bother.

Me to but I have overlapping batches. I have an IPA in now, a drop top clone in the bottle that is almost ready and a double Irish red that is almost done. Different colored caps only go so far.

I use a sharpie to note the beer type on the cap rather than labels. I like the idea of a label on the cap, though.

Over the years, I've tried a great many solutions. My favorite:

1) Office depot rubberbands. About 4 bucks per trillion bands
2) Inkjet perforated cards, 10 to a sheet
3) Hole puncher

I have a LOT of bottles at any given time, so keeping them organized is important. Print out the data (date, gravity, IBUs, style, etc) separate and hole-punch the cards, rubberband through the hole around the bottle neck, done. Takes about 3 seconds per bottle, looks cool.

I label a 12 pack on beers that im giving away and not expecting to get back. The beers at home have color/ design caps.

My Home brew store keeps different color caps. They have black (Porters), silver (Competition beers), yellow (IPA's), yellow with a dragon (for Imperials), red (Amber's) and depending on the week some overstock/old caps from different breweries.

I like the idea of rubber banding a card around the beer though...

I like the idea of rubber banding a card around the beer though...

I came to that epiphany after realizing I brew more styles than there are color caps easily available. I'd also have 3 different IPAs and not remember which was which.

to the OP, that's exactly what happened to me, standing over the sink cursing myself for using labels. now i just write an acronym on the caps and call it a day.
amen.

Back