call me crazy!!! bottle to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisharvey

Reaction score
So I have a case or the equivlent of half a keg of beer that is extremely undercarbed. I messed up on the priming sugar and now am kicking myself cause it tastes amazing (double honey wit). Am I crazy to just pop off all the tops and pour into a keg real quick and real cleanly and ramp up the co2? would i really kill the beer? i mean it's not like i'm going to drink it as is anyways.

Oxidation would be the only possible drawback.

Be careful....

Myself, I would brew another 2-3 gallons of it and add your bottles to the chilled wort. Keg that.

Then oxygen would be a good thing and it would get fermented out for sure.

Hell, the bottled beer could be combined with a little ice could chill the new wort!

:mug:

undercarbed and tastes amazing

vs

carbed and oxidized and tastes like cardboard or infected and tastes like, I dunno... infection?

you decide

or, it might turn out carbed and taste amazing; roll the dice, take your chances

I dunno, if you purged real well with CO2 I suppose you could get away with it. It's not a super-delicate IIPA.

I'd probably just pop the tops, add a bit more sugar solution using a baby medicine syringe, recap and call it a day.

Oxidation would be the only possible drawback.

Be careful....

Myself, I would brew another 2-3 gallons of it and add your bottles to the chilled wort. Keg that.

Then oxygen would be a good thing and it would get fermented out for sure.

Hell, the bottled beer could be combined with a little ice could chill the new wort!

:mug:

Hi

I re-bottled a Saison once and got away with it. :p Figured what the hell I didn't like it undercarbed so what was the worst that could happen. If you attempt this I would maybe pour them into a bottling bucket then siphon to the keg. I poured really slow so I didn't splash I think that would be hard to do into a keg.

I re-bottled a Saison once and got away with it. :p Figured what the hell I didn't like it undercarbed so what was the worst that could happen. If you attempt this I would maybe pour them into a bottling bucket then siphon to the keg. I poured really slow so I didn't splash I think that would be hard to do into a keg.

This is what I was thinking. I'd think you could have very little oxidation into a bucket, if you poured close to the bottom and slowly.

I like the idea of adding sugar cubes. Do I need to add any yeast? I've heard of champagne yeast being added using a baby feeder tube

Purge the hell out of the keg and pour them slowly into the keg keeping a slow trickle of CO2 into the keg through the dip tube (switch the posts). Can't oxidize if there is only a CO2 environment.

I like the idea of adding sugar cubes. Do I need to add any yeast? I've heard of champagne yeast being added using a baby feeder tube

I tried adding sugar to that Saison first, just be ready to cap it. When I added sugar to the bottle it foamed up.

Back