California Steam--- Need a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
I searched the recipe database and didn't have much luck..... Can you guys (or gals) hook me up with an EXTRACT recipe for California Steam?

I was gonna brew another hefe but I want to make steam for the 1st time. What IBU should I be shooting for?? Around 35-40?? I will be able to ferment around 67 degrees. Is that cold enough for this style?

Here is a nice Steam Beer extract recipe (Anchor clone) that I got from my LHBS, 'The Witches Brew'. While I don't follow the process to the letter, the recipe turned out one of my best, and most requested extract brews ever!

This is an image file and not a text file so you can just right click and 'save as' to your desk top.

SteamBeer.jpg

I recently brewed an all grain common that I'm pretty pleased with. I think this would be a pretty good extract equivalent:

6-7 lbs plain light or extra-light DME
1/2 lb caramel 60L
2 oz carafa III

60 min 1oz Northern Brewer 5.7% AA, 1/2oz Cascade 6.9% AA
2 min 1/2 oz Cascade
Dry 1oz Cascade

Wyeast 2112 or similar california common yeast

I kept the beer at about 62 degrees while fermenting and bottle conditioning. Once they were well carbonated, I tossed them all in a fridge at about 38 degrees to smooth them out a little. This recipe ended up pretty bitter because it had such a light body, so if you're not into that kind of thing, either tone down the hops or bump up the caramel malt. The carafa is in there for color only. I was trying for a deep orange, but ended up with amber-brown. I'd recommend leaving it out, maybe use a darker caramel malt for color.

pa-in-utah said:
I searched the recipe database and didn't have much luck..... Can you guys (or gals) hook me up with an EXTRACT recipe for California Steam?

I was gonna brew another hefe but I want to make steam for the 1st time. What IBU should I be shooting for?? Around 35-40?? I will be able to ferment around 67 degrees. Is that cold enough for this style?
You really need to ferment this style at around 65 or a less.

From the White Labs website:

"This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.

Latest posts

Back