california lager bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
I've just finished up a batch of california steam beer with wyeast 2112 yeast and I'm thinking of doing another batch with the yeast left in the primary. I'm also craving a bock/doppelbock style beer...

Any thoughts on what would happen if I did a doppelbock recipe with the high temp california lager yeast? I'm thinking it can't turn out too bad so I might just go for it... But temperature wise, I'm not sure what to do with it. Supposedly the california lager maintains lagering characteristics up to 65 degrees. I don't have any lagering capability now other than my basement, which currently maintains a temp of about 68 degrees. I'm thinking if I might be able to get a decent bockish style beer out of the california lager in the lower 60's, I can probably get away with a wet towel and a fan.

Any thoughts on how it might turn out?

Hi, I'm new around here, but I had the same idea. Was definitely planning on going the fan/towel route. In fact, I was thinking about how it would be to brew a Steam Eis Bock. Heck, as long as it's dark and sweet, it can't be ALL bad...

Back