California Beer Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medivian

Reaction score
Hello guys. Im a Brazilian Beer Geek and im planning to go to California to taste some Hoppy Beers and visit places like Stone Brewing .So, I needsuggestions on which places to go!

Im planning on maybe staying 5 days in LA, 5 days in San Diego and 5 days in San Francisco.

Places already on my radar: Stone Brewing (Escondido), Cellar Brewing CO (San Fran),Mikkeller/ White Labs (San Diego).

Any comments are really aprecciated!

Are you driving from south to north? If your driving you can hit some on the way to San Francisco

I live in the central coast and some of the breweries near me are Firestone Walker, Barrel House, Tin City cider in Paso Robles. SLO brewing, Central Coast Brewing are in San Luis Obispo. Dead Oak and Tent City are in Atascadero. I'm probably missing a few but that should get you started.

Many of the big craft breweries in San Diego are just north of the city, around Miramar. Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash, etc. Also worth visiting is White Labs, the yeast manufacturer. They have a nice taproom where you can sample test batches made from their different varieties of yeast.

Here is a list of breweries in that area. Here is a map with brewery locations shown.

If you like hoppy beers, you'll love the west coast style IPAs and IIPAs. Have a great trip!

San Diego: Definitely hit Modern Times... Green Flash is really good and now that they've acquired Alpine, you can get both at the main brewery in Mira Mesa. Pizza Port is a good place for food and they make some really good beer [and have quite a few guest beers on tap]. I enjoy Mike Hess Brewing quite a bit.

Orange County (between San Diego & LA): I like Lost Winds in San Clemente, you'd probably want to check out The Bruery in Placentia (not hoppy). In Costa Mesa are Barley Forge and Gunwhale Ales. I *REALLY* like Barley Forge. Gunwhale was so-so, but recently got a new brewer (formerly of The Bruery and my homebrew club) so I expect they're improving. Bottle Logic up in Anaheim is good, and that area has a growing craft beer scene so there are others.

I don't know LA and SF that well, but if you're going to SF you *MUST* make a trip up to Santa Rosa to go to Russian River brewing and get yourself some Pliny. While up there, Bear Republic and Anderson Valley would be two side trips. And of course if you're into wine at all, they're in Sonoma County and Napa is right next door, so we wouldn't begrudge you for drinking something that's not beer lol...

Just north of Stone is Temecula, and they have some pretty good breweries. Refuge is my favorite, but they tend to do Belgian style beers. Electirc Brewing in Murrieta does some really good IPAs. Enjoy your travels :D :mug:

San Diego: Definitely hit Modern Times... Green Flash is really good and now that they've acquired Alpine, you can get both at the main brewery in Mira Mesa. Pizza Port is a good place for food and they make some really good beer [and have quite a few guest beers on tap]. I enjoy Mike Hess Brewing quite a bit.

Orange County (between San Diego & LA): I like Lost Winds in San Clemente, you'd probably want to check out The Bruery in Placentia (not hoppy). In Costa Mesa are Barley Forge and Gunwhale Ales. I *REALLY* like Barley Forge. Gunwhale was so-so, but recently got a new brewer (formerly of The Bruery and my homebrew club) so I expect they're improving. Bottle Logic up in Anaheim is good, and that area has a growing craft beer scene so there are others.

I don't know LA and SF that well, but if you're going to SF you *MUST* make a trip up to Santa Rosa to go to Russian River brewing and get yourself some Pliny. While up there, Bear Republic and Anderson Valley would be two side trips. And of course if you're into wine at all, they're in Sonoma County and Napa is right next door, so we wouldn't begrudge you for drinking something that's not beer lol...
Thank you very much for the info!

The plan is to visit LA, then SD and SF. But definitely im going places like Escondido and Santa Rosa.

I want to taste Cellarmaker Brewing Beers so bad!

You guys think is worth takeing a car right in LA or book flight tickets? I mean, LA to SD, to SF ..

I don’t know about the rest of LA but Torrance has Hopsaint,Monkish, smog city, and yorkshire square. Also if you go to downtown LA mikkeller has a sweet bar/ restaurant with killer food.

You guys think is worth takeing a car right in LA or book flight tickets? I mean, LA to SD, to SF ..

Depends on how much money and time you have. The distances you are planning to cover are great between San Diego and San Francisco, but definitely workable by car. If you are considering flights there are plenty connecting the 3 major cities you mentioned, but you'll miss out on a lot of cool stuff in between. There is also Amtrak rail, the Pacific Surfliner connects San Diego to LA to Oakland. If you fly or take rail you'll need to rent a car to get around each city. Might be more practical to just rent a car in LA and drive up and down the coast. Lots of scenic drives and breweries. And wineries.

Depends on how much money and time you have. The distances you are planning to cover are great between San Diego and San Francisco, but definitely workable by car. If you are considering flights there are plenty connecting the 3 major cities you mentioned, but you'll miss out on a lot of cool stuff in between. There is also Amtrak rail, the Pacific Surfliner connects San Diego to LA to Oakland. If you fly or take rail you'll need to rent a car to get around each city. Might be more practical to just rent a car in LA and drive up and down the coast. Lots of scenic drives and breweries. And wineries.

NO. NO NO NO NO. do not take the train. it almost never makes sense in CA. and from LA to SF you start on a train, get off and get on a bus, and then back on a train. this happens out in the central valley in the middle of no where.

LA to san diego in car is like 1.5 to 2 hours. from SD to SF is like 10 hours, or 12-15 if you drive along the coast. from LA to SF is like 6-7 hours. none of these routes are faster on a train. or cheaper.

if you buy plane tickets in advance you can get from LA to SF for like $50-60 bucks, and likely the same from SD to SF, but LAX is bigger airport and has more flights available. so in theory, you could drive from LA to san diego, hit some orange county and north san diego breweries on the way. then hit san diego, even take a day and check out the breweries across the border in tijuana (i can give you a list if you like). from SD you fly up to SF, or go back to LA and then fly to SF.

there's also a super cheap busses that are like $10-30 to get from LA to SF. (megabus, boltbus) the ride is crappy but its cheap.

San Diego- definitely stop at white labs. you can do flights of the same beer recipe brewed with 3 or 4 different yeasts, very good education. stone, ballast point, st archer, mike hess

North San Diego/ orange county- lost winds is pretty good, bagby beer is decent, pizza port has few brewpub locations, and in orange county you can check out bootlegger, the bruery is overrated in my opinion but some people definitely love it.

LA- south bay- DEFINITELY check out Phantom Carriage- awesome sours. smog city is ok, monkish is good, golden road is so-so, highland park is a bit far from downtown/westside but has good stuff. yourkshire square makes modern english style beers, definitely worth a trip as i assume you dont get any of those in brazil.

SF area- hit russian river but be prepared to wait. lagunitas is awesome. fieldwork is decent. cellarmaker is decent. almanac is overrated, but food is good. drakes in oakland is good if you like west coast ipa. heretic has some decent beers too.

in short, there's a ton of breweries in all of these locations. plus tons of other bars, restaurants, etc. so to be honest, i'd make a list of the ones you "must visit" and then get opinions on other smaller breweries to visit from the folks you meet along the way.

or better yet, sample some local breweries at a beer bar, find the ones you like, and then go visit them when you're done with the "must see" breweries.

If you find yourself in Imperial beach, San Diego, check out The Plank. Just was out there in September and never thought of going there, darn it! If you head toward the beach on Palm ave and hit sea coast blvd you’ll be staring at it. Not sure what they have for craft, it’s been over 16 years since I’ve been there.

I had to carry my girlfriend at the time and now wife of 13 years to back to my house on 4th and Carnation one night. Glad our party days are over and we just enjoy now.

A tip on driving in SoCal, force your way when changing lanes! You have to be an a-hole otherwise you’ll cause an accident.

Don’t forget to check out the Mexican restaurants! We can’t find the same carne asada in Michigan as you do down there.

So IMHO, renting a car *and* flying is your best bet. Rent a car in Los Angeles at LAX when you arrive, with the plan to drop off the car in San Diego. Fly from San Diego to San Francisco, then rent another car up there. This would allow you to do a few days in LA, one day in Orange County, a few in San Diego, and a few in San Francisco.

The drive from LA to SD is basically 2 1/2 hours, but can be more in traffic. But you'll want a car for the LA/SD stretch of the trip. But then driving from San Diego to San Francisco would be 8+ hours on the boring route (Interstate 5), and 10+ hours on the scenic route (US highway 101). Much better to just take a 1 hr flight, and they're not really very expensive.

Note: if you're doing a bunch of brewery visits, don't drive drunk. Getting nabbed for a DUI will ruin your vacation (and beyond). I don't know how strict they are about that in Brazil, but given that you'll be driving around without a lot of knowledge of the area, you'll probably be drawing attention to yourself on the road even without alcohol. Leave your car at the hotel each day and try Uber and Lyft as rideshare services that can drive you around during the course of the day, at least for the brewery visits. I'm sure there'll be a lot of other sightseeing that you can do via car before you start hitting breweries each day.

So IMHO, renting a car *and* flying is your best bet. Rent a car in Los Angeles at LAX when you arrive, with the plan to drop off the car in San Diego. Fly from San Diego to San Francisco, then rent another car up there. This would allow you to do a few days in LA, one day in Orange County, a few in San Diego, and a few in San Francisco.

The drive from LA to SD is basically 2 1/2 hours, but can be more in traffic. But you'll want a car for the LA/SD stretch of the trip. But then driving from San Diego to San Francisco would be 8+ hours on the boring route (Interstate 5), and 10+ hours on the scenic route (US highway 101). Much better to just take a 1 hr flight, and they're not really very expensive.

Note: if you're doing a bunch of brewery visits, don't drive drunk. Getting nabbed for a DUI will ruin your vacation (and beyond). I don't know how strict they are about that in Brazil, but given that you'll be driving around without a lot of knowledge of the area, you'll probably be drawing attention to yourself on the road even without alcohol. Leave your car at the hotel each day and try Uber and Lyft as rideshare services that can drive you around during the course of the day, at least for the brewery visits. I'm sure there'll be a lot of other sightseeing that you can do via car before you start hitting breweries each day.
You are 100% right.
Uber all the way.

But i will take a car from LA to SD then a flight to SF. I Think thats the better thing to do it.

Also im planning to extend to Yakima valley and maybe visit BT. haas.

Any tip?

Thanks guys!

My recommendation is Firestone in Paso Robles, great vineyards all around there also. And Santa Rosa for Russian River. Both places have great food along with the beer. Safe travels!

Hello guys!
So thats a quick update on my trip plans right now:

Los Angeles:
Aleworks, Mikkeler, Beachwood, Firestone Venice, Highland Park Brewery

San Diego:
Ballast Point, Green Flash, White Labs, Mikkeler

San Francisco:
Cellarmaker

Paso Robles: Firestone, Tin City Cider

Santa Rosa: Russian River Brewing

Am i missing something? Please share your thoughts! Thank you!

Looks like you will be plenty busy. I'm only familiar with some of the San Diego area breweries, so can't comment on the other cities. Ballast Point, Green Flash and White Labs are very close together. And there are several more in that vicinity, if you have the time to stop. Stone is just a little farther north, in Escondido.

Have a safe trip!

I’ve never had Ale Works beer however the rest of the breweries on your list are in my top 10 list!
Sounds like a fun trip.
Cheers [emoji482]

If you are stopping at Tin City you might as well hit Barrel House too the are almost right next to each other.

Looks like you'll have fun!

Lets back up the freight train here a bit, what are your favorite types of beers? IPA, DIPA, etc? Or do you like funk, English styles, etc?

Anyways, when flying up here to Central California you should look into MRY, SJC, SFO, and OAK airports and not just SFO. You can sometimes find better deals, but check flight times and connections (MRY can be dicey sometimes with it's flight options).

Also, if you want to save more money rent a car offsite of the airport...at least look into it.

I'm biased to breweries here in Monterey area, so consider checking out places south of San Fran. as well.

Lets back up the freight train here a bit, what are your favorite types of beers? IPA, DIPA, etc? Or do you like funk, English styles, etc?

Anyways, when flying up here to Central California you should look into MRY, SJC, SFO, and OAK airports and not just SFO. You can sometimes find better deals, but check flight times and connections (MRY can be dicey sometimes with it's flight options).

Also, if you want to save more money rent a car offsite of the airport...at least look into it.

I'm biased to breweries here in Monterey area, so consider checking out places south of San Fran. as well.
I Like all types of beers.
But i love Hoppy beers. Specially Hazy Juicy DIPAS.

Thanks for your informations!

As far as the juicy hazy beers mikkeller in San Diego is a must go to. Never had monkish in LA but they’re supposed to be amazing for that. But if those styles are your favorite you should really come over to New England....

San Diego County is fairly large, geographically. But if you look at this map of brewery locations, and zoom in, you'll notice that many of them are clustered together in certain areas, such as Kearny Mesa, Miramar, etc. If you do some planning, you can target a different area each day, and not have to criss-cross a lot. You mentioned a few of the big names, but you'll knock those out in a day. Lots of smaller breweries you can check out.

Another possibility: Do a Google search for "San Diego brewery tours" There are a number of tour operators that will haul people around to breweries. Especially a good idea if you don't have a designated driver.

Hey bros!
A little update: Im going to LA on august 6, planning stay 4 days in LA, then 6 days in San Diego and more 3 days between San Francisco and Paso Robles.

Places on my radar:

LA: Aleworks, Mikkeler, Beachwood, Firestone Venice, Highland Park Brewery, Monkish
SD: Ballast Point, Greenflash, Whitelabs, Mikkeler, Escondido Stone
Paso Robles: Russian River, Firestone, Tin City Cider
SF: Cellarmaker

All suggests and comments are really apreciatte, since its going to be my first time on Cali!
Thank you!

If you take I-5 to Hwy 46 to Paso which dumps you on Hwy 101 you would end up going north through Salinas which is home to Alvarado Street Brewery. They're worth a stop, in my opinion. From there you can go to Santa Cruz to Discretion Brewery which is also worth a stop. Further north and you're in SF (I would personally take Hwy 1 from Santa Cruz to San Francisco; it only adds about 30-45 minutes depending on if you stop. You're along the Pacific Coast the entire way up, so worth the added time, in my opinion.).

Im doing this trip all alone so i not sure if im even driving at this point.

So im not sure if i can do all this with uber or something? But thanks for sharing this info!

Hey bros!
A little update: Im going to LA on august 6, planning stay 4 days in LA, then 6 days in San Diego and more 3 days between San Francisco and Paso Robles.

Places on my radar:

LA: Aleworks, Mikkeler, Beachwood, Firestone Venice, Highland Park Brewery, Monkish
SD: Ballast Point, Greenflash, Whitelabs, Mikkeler, Escondido Stone
Paso Robles: Russian River, Firestone, Tin City Cider
SF: Cellarmaker

All suggests and comments are really apreciatte, since its going to be my first time on Cali!
Thank you!

Russian River is in Santa Rosa, about 50 miles north of San Francisco. If you aren't driving, I'd cut out the Paso Robles stop. A flight from LAX to SFO is about $110. Adding in a Paso Robles stop makes it $510 total. I love Firestone Walker, but not $400 worth...

Russian River is in Santa Rosa, about 50 miles north of San Francisco. If you aren't driving, I'd cut out the Paso Robles stop. A flight from LAX to SFO is about $110. Adding in a Paso Robles stop makes it $510 total. I love Firestone Walker, but not $400 worth...

Agreed 100%.

First that Russian River is NOT in Paso. It's part of the SF leg.

Second, Firestone Venice will give you a lot of the same advantages as going to Paso for Firestone. If you're driving from LA to SF, then a stop in Paso can make sense. But if you're flying, or want to save a day, fly from LA (or SD) to SF directly.

I also suggest checking out Modern Times in SD. Very good stuff.

Latest posts

Back