California and Oregon Brewtour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
My friends and I had danced around the idea for some time, but we finally decided it was time to get real. In less than two weeks, we’re piling into a Class A motorhome and taking off on a 2200 mile beer tour of California and Oregon. Here’s our schedule:

Day 1: Early AM head out. I-5 North to Chico. Kick things off with the classic American microbrewery, Sierra Nevada. (500 miles)

Day 2: Another early AM. I-5 North, take a right at Mt. Shasta and continue to Bend, Oregon for the NEW American microbrew, Deschutes. (350 miles)

Day 3:Take the 22 West and catch I-5 again to Portland. Visit some friends in the area. Continue West through an Oregon state forest named after cheese. Take a left just before you drive into the water and head South on 101 until we hit Newport, OR and visit Rogue Ales. (270 miles)

Day 4: Early AM. Continue South on 101. Cross the CA state line and camp at Patrick’s Point State Park. (320 miles)

Day 5: Continue South on 101 to Ukiah (4 hours). Hit the Mendocino Brewing Company for lunch. Get back on the road to Boonville, CA to check out Anderson Valley Brewing Company. (220 miles)

Day 6: Easy day, but not for our livers. We’re heading South to Santa Rosa and Russian River Brewing Company. I’m not planning anything extra for the RR day because I’m going to be drinking Supplication, Consecration, Temptation, and Pliny the Elder until I run out of money or die, whichever comes first.

Day 7: Head South to Paso Robles and Firestone-Walker. Hang out in San Luis Obispo for the rest of the day / evening.

Day 8: Back home to return the RV.

Day 9: Sleep.

What do you guys think? Any other can’t-miss stops that I should add to the tour?

Day 3, a slight detour off of 101 will get you to Pelican Brewing in Pacific City. Definitely worth a stop IMO. Good beer, decent food, and a fantastic location right by the beach. And if you're looking for a stop in Portland, there are a ton of good ones obviously, but I'm partial to Laurelwood. Very good beer and food.

Day 3, a slight detour off of 101 will get you to Pelican Brewing in Pacific City. Definitely worth a stop IMO. Good beer, decent food, and a fantastic location right by the beach. And if you're looking for a stop in Portland, there are a ton of good ones obviously, but I'm partial to Laurelwood. Very good beer and food.

I agree with the stop at Pelican Brewery, especially since it's only a 5-10 minute detour off 101. I like Doryman's Dark Ale, but I haven't tried many of their other styles. It's not by the beach, it's on the beach. The back porch is right on the sand and while Oregon beaches don't always have the best weather it is still a great location.

If you have time in Portland I recommend Hopworks.

didnt stop there but you have mad river brewery and six river brewery near eureka ca. just stop at sn in chico nice place but the beer is cheaper at rite aid

No love for San Diego? just gonna ignore Stone, Ballast point, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port, Ale Smith, Coronado brewing Co., Green Flash, and Alpine? :/

or I suppose you may live real close to san diego seeing as how you said you'll be driving 500 miles to chico....

Back