calculation of s.g

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCC

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the calculation of o.g & s.g to get the right gravity to bottle & also what is the best sugar to carbonate with.....

OCC said:
can anyone tell me the calculation of o.g & s.g to get the right gravity to bottle & also what is the best sugar to carbonate with.....

The best advice I can give is this: fermentation is done when it's done. There is no perfect formula to tell you the exact FG you are going to get when you start at X original gravity using Y yeast.

This is where a hydrometer can actually come in useful. Take a few readings over two or three days. If the value remains the same on all of those readings, then fermentation is done. If it continues to drop, then it isn't done.

If you bottle too soon, and fermenation is still going, you could end up with grenades. I keep my bottles in the boxes while they are carbonating, so they don't blow up and throw glass everywhere, but I weep if I think of wasted beer.....

Cheers Bikebryan Got Any Ideas On The Best Sugar To Use When Bottling,i Have Brew With Morgans Blue Mountain Larger.

The sugar you want to use is either corn sugar, or dry malt extract (as light as possible). Most people use corn sugar, it's virtually 100% fermentable and therefore you will use slightly less than DME for the same carbonation level. You might try both and see which one you like better.

Prosit,

hey guys whats up?
I buy my beer kits from williams brewery(great company).
I use ther red ale kit which comes with 7lbs. malt, hops and liquid yeast.
I now harvest my own yeast from previous batches. which means I will be buying malt and hops seperate from a kit.Heres my question.most malts come in 6 or 8lbs.whats the protacol an extra pound of extract?should i still brew 5 gal or go to 6 gal.how do i determine the new starting gravity and will the fg be different from the 8 lb mix?

Back