Calculating batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordsoth

Reaction score
Pretty dumb question, but I just did my 3rd AG batch and trying to figure out my numbers. When coming up with your batch size, do you measure what actually goes into the fermenter? ie. at the end of the boil, I have 5.25 gallons in the pot (boiled down from 6.5g of collected wort), but I leave all the trub in the bottom, consequently I end up with 5 gallons into the primary. So would I calculate that as a 5g or 5.25g batch?

Unless you have your brewing software setup for you system (it should recognize that .25 gallon system loss) then I'd keep calculating it as a 5.25 gallon batch.

Calculate the batch with what is in your pot after boiling. I do 6 gallon batches but always have 5 gallons in my carboy. The extra gallon is dead space as well as a couple of pints that are sludge that I don't want in my carboy. Is it wasteful? Probably but it works for me.

Back