Calculate proper ABV after later sugar addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built an imperial honey stout (tasting fantastic so far) and I can't seem to figure out best method to calculate true OG.

I was targeting an OG with just malt of 1.059 and hit 1.061. Because of high mash temps, it fermented down to 1.030. I added 5 lbs of honey to the fermenter, and that popped the SG from 1.030 to 1.054, but I know due to the alcohol already present in the beer, the SG appears to be lower than it actually is. It is currently at 1.023 with light bubbling in the airlock.

So... I feel that I can't just simply go OG + (SG after honey - SG before honey) as that gave me 1.085 as the OG. Because the alcohol would reduce the overall density, I figure that number should be higher. Beersmith is telling me that all in, the OG should have been 1.104. The software is telling me that the extract potential of honey is 1.034 per lbs, however, with those numbers, it seems to be more like 1.024 per lbs. I wouldn't think the honey would have that low fermentable sugar. I picked it up from a meadery up north.

Any thoughts?

your OG should be around 1.088, assuming you were at 5gals to start with. 5lbs of honey will add about 0.4gals to your volume so I compensated for that.

(5*61 + 5*34 )/ 5.4 = 1.088

Back