Calcium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showcow

Reaction score
I'm studying my water quality report, and am confused about one thing.

Until now I've been using pH 5.2 buffer, but I'd like to take the next step. I started using the 5.2 because when I mix my water with the grist of a pale beer, the pH would be quite low (4.9 or so). I'm willing to take the next step in controlling my water now, so I'm looking at Dave miller's book and How to brew along with my water report.

The report lists "hardness, calcium" (mine ranges from 43-110 ppm throughout the year) and it ALSO lists "calcium" (ranges from 20-45 throughout the year. When considering calcium content, which should I use?

One other thing, my average bicarbonate level is 82ppm, which is a bit high for pale beers - doesn't that mean I need a little more calcium to compensate in pale beers?

Calcium Hardness is 2.5 times the Calcium concentration. You use the calcium concentration, not hardness in working with brewing chemistry.

With the bicarbonate level indicated above, there is no way a pale malt grist would produce a mash pH of 4.9. The mash would more likely be in the high 5 range. How was that pH measured?

Forget the 5.2 stuff. It does not work.

The last time I used city water without the 5.2 buffer I tested with test strips. It was definitely consistently low. The 5.2 stuff has been fine for me. Guess I'll be ordering a good pH tester soon. Thanks for your reply!

Back