Calcium Chloride from a pool store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing this weekend and used the EZ Water calculator to determine salt additions. I had everything on hand except calcium chloride. Not enough time to order from my usual online brewstore. So I called up a pool supply place and asked if the sold it. They did but the smallest quantity was 4 pounds. I only need 8 grams. I told the guy this and he said stop by the store and he would give me some for free. He ended up giving me 84 grams!

Question. Is calcium chloride used for swimming pools the same as used in brewing? Is there food grade and non food grade?

Thanks!

Most chemicals sold at a pool supply store are not food grade because they are typically (1) less pure and (2) manufactured in facilities that process other unsafe chemicals (think peanuts).

Here is a MSDS for pool grade CaCl2. It's 77% - 80% pure, whereas food grade CaCl2 is typically 96% - 99% pure.

Will it ruin a batch of beer? Most likely not but it's not worth the risk when food grade CaCl2 is widely available.

lamarguy, great input, thanks. I'm going to call Dow tomorrow and get their take on it. I'm sure they'll error on the side of safety and tell me not to use it.

I'm just wondering though if such small quantities as 8 grams in a 5 gallon batch of homebrew would be, deadly is not the word, wouldn't die for beer. Unhealthy?

Here is a MSDS for pool grade CaCl2. It's 77% - 80% pure, whereas food grade CaCl2 is typically 96% - 99% pure.

I think you will find the major impurity in food and technical grade at about the same level with that impurity being water. The food grade stuff bought at home brew shops is not the anhydride but, as is the technical grade, a mixture of anhydride, monohydrate and dihydrate. Demonstrate this to your self by heating some. Water will be evolved. There are also other impurities in there as well notably calcium hydroxide (slaked lime) and some sodium and magnesium.

This is not to advocate the use of technical (pool supply store or road deicing) material in brewing. The stuff from the LHBS will have been packaged in a facility that is approved for packaging foods.

In planning it is best to use the molecular weight of the anhydride and then use 125% more to make up for the water of hydration. As the MSDS shows that is variable and so you will always be WAGing to some extent. I usually just set the spreadsheet for monohyrate ( 86% CaCl2) and don't worry about it beyond that.

I picked up some food grade Calcium Chloride at a local farm store that sells food canning supplies. Might see if any stores around you sell canning supplies, they should have it.

Look for a chemical warehouse that supplies to municipal water treatment plants, municipal pool systems, and bulk supplies to LPS stores.

I found one here. And the only difference between the grades was which MSDS they gave you (they only stocked the higher grade materials).

Thank you all for the replies. I think I'll pass on using this stuff. I'll check the grocery stores around town and hopefully they have pickle crisp. If not, this next brew will just have to do without a calcium chloride addition and I'll order some from my online homebrew store for future use.

Again thanks everybody for the input.

It's called 'pickle crisp' in the canning section of a supermarket.

Thank you ajdelange!

I was just about to put off brewing this weekend because I really wanted to use calcium chloride in the mash water. I called the grocery stores in town and they don't sell pickle crisp. You'll never believe who does - OSH Orchard Supply Hardware. They sell canning goods and they sell pickle crisp.

Brew day is back one! :mug:

I love OSH.
I have an OSH and a Lowe's within walking distance from my house. The only times I go to Lowe's is for a bigger selection on some items. However, that selection comes with the price of never being able to find anyone to help you.

Thank you ajdelange!

I was just about to put off brewing this weekend because I really wanted to use calcium chloride in the mash water. I called the grocery stores in town and they don't sell pickle crisp. You'll never believe who does - OSH Orchard Supply Hardware. They sell canning goods and they sell pickle crisp.

Brew day is back one! :mug:

Glad you found something Dan! Enjoy your brew day tomorrow!

Back