Cacao nibs taste like coffee?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneritz

Reaction score
Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone has had luck with cacao nibs in their boil? I used 2 oz in the last 15 min of my winters ale boil, (5Gallons) and after 9 days of fermenting my beer does not taste or smell like any kind of chocolate. I am going to add more to secondary, but my beer actually smelled like coffee!?! Has anyone had any experience like this before? The beer I am trying to mimic is Granville island Lions Winter Ale from BC. It has strong chocolate and vanilla tones. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've never used cacao nibs in the boil but I did dry hop with 4oz of them for 1 week in a milk stout and there was a definite, strong chocolate taste/aroma after the beers had conditioned for a couple weeks but that chocolate taste/aroma has faded a bit as the beer has sat in bottles for a couple months.

Thanks, I've never used them, so I thought after maybe I should have roasted them for a better flavour? I am going to add some to my secondary but I don't know where this coffee taste is coming from. Nothing in my grain bill would be close except for the chocolate malt I used, and I have used that before and never tasted coffee

Back