C02 level / reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRL

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

So I was just curious....

How are you guys figuring when to re fill the c02 tank before tapping a keg?

I don't want to tap a keg and end up running out of C02.

I bought a brand new 5lbs c02 tank but I dont think it was filled 100% when I bought it...

I am going on my 2nd 50L keg seen in pic...

Liquid wise it feels like i got about 25% left

How much is safe to assume I got enough to pump out another 50L keg?

heres a pic of what my gauge is showing.

Setting is roughly at 12psi

MhmGrer.jpg

did some more reading... it looks like I should ignore the gauge all together until it goes well into the "red"

Correct, nothing to worry about until red. I use a 10lb tank and it lasts me quite a long time and I normally have 3-4 beers on tap at a time.

If you can, pick up an additional tank and keep it on hand. That way, if you ever do run out, you have a backup. I keep a 5lb tank as a reserve so when my 10lb tank goes empty, I have something to take its place until I get it filled.

thanks!

Yea ive been keeping an eye online for a cheap used one... a new one is a little too expensive to keep as a back up.

ive read it should last about 5-7 50L kegs ideally if 100% full... ill be happy to have it last every 2-3...

thanks!

Yea ive been keeping an eye online for a cheap used one... a new one is a little too expensive to keep as a back up.

ive read it should last about 5-7 50L kegs ideally if 100% full... ill be happy to have it last every 2-3...

A cheap alternative for a backup is to use a 20oz paintball tank with adapter for your regulator. If you have an Academy Sports near you, the tank is about $21 and fill is $4. You'll need to get the adapter at your LHBS or on line and are about $15. I wouldn't try to carbonate with it (May only get one keg out of it)!but it's enough to push 4+ kegs.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425491801.591988.jpg

never though of that!

I used to paintball back in the day so I have a few 16 and 24ouncers I got access to... I am def going to just fill one and keep as a backup..... once i get the adaptor ofcourse

even if it cant push a full keg, it would only be a temporary "hold" to keep the keg pressurized at the needed psi until I connect the #5 back on.

Yep, and one step further, you can even use the 12oz disposables. Of course that means using an adapter for the cylinder AND the adapter for the regulator......

one concern though, isnt the paint ball cylinders filled with a co2 that has oil res in it?

would this be something I need to "clean" out before use

You'll be amazed at how much gas is left even when it goes into the red zone. I'd use it until its last puff, or when pours become slow.

Weighting it when empty and again when you want to know is the best way to estimate how much gas remains.

one concern though, isnt the paint ball cylinders filled with a co2 that has oil res in it?

would this be something I need to "clean" out before use

Had the same concern at first, tried it anyway. No problems as yet with off flavors or head retention......

In general, as the temperature drops so does pressure especially within a pressure vessel. As abstract as it is, true fill of CO2 is determined by weight (I never plan on weighing my tank but point is the gage can be very misleading). I came home after filling my 10# tank, later forced carbonated two 5 gallon kegs and after storing it within my 41.5 degree F keezer, have it pushing 2 taps. It appears to be close to the "red" area but I know if I were to take it out of the keezer and let it adjust to room temp that the gauge would display more than I assumed was in the tank.

Push it till it's out of breath!

Latest posts

Back