C-Brite No Rinse Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
Hey all -

When I started brewing I used C-Brite as a no rinse sanitizing solution. I've read conflicting reports about the necessity of rinsing or not. I know that they make .8 oz packets to be used in 2 gallons of water, but I bought bulk, which, if my memory serves me correctly, uses 2 Tbsp/5 gal. to achieve the same "no rinse solution". Of the 15+ batches I did with it, I had no issues. Was I doing something wrong?

I ask this because I just purchased more in bulk (on special) and wanted to make sure I got it right.

Any help with proportions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

When I used C-brite I weighed it. The packets are 0.8 oz, so 2 oz per 5 gallon would be correct. Interestingly they have changed the labeling on the package and no longer call it a sanitizer. IIRC it was a legal labeling issue rather than an effectiveness issue.

When I used C-brite I weighed it. The packets are 0.8 oz, so 2 oz per 5 gallon would be correct. Interestingly they have changed the labeling on the package and no longer call it a sanitizer. IIRC it was a legal labeling issue rather than an effectiveness issue.

So 2 oz./5 gal still works as a no rinse then?

I have 1 lb of C-Brite Cleanser (which I am assuming is the same as the Sanitizer because of the labeling issue) and I have 3 Oz. of Star San left (used some for my first batch). I am new to brewing but so far I seem to prefer the Star Sans because the chlorine smell of the C-Brite is strong.

I will admit though that C-Brite worked great cleaning my commercial bottles and removing labels.

Does anyone have any further info that can help me make a permanent switch? I am Leaning towards Star Sans because it is less odor and can be reused. Also as far as cleaning goes what is best? C-Brite seems to work as a cleanser too but I also have Barkeepers Friend not to mention regular OxyClean and Bleach.

I am really looking for the best cleanser/Sanitizer for plastic components, mainly tubing at this point. C-Brite concerns me because after a short soak in C-Brite the tubing remains cloudy. Is that a big deal?

I have 1 lb of C-Brite Cleanser (which I am assuming is the same as the Sanitizer because of the labeling issue) and I have 3 Oz. of Star San left (used some for my first batch). I am new to brewing but so far I seem to prefer the Star Sans because the chlorine smell of the C-Brite is strong.

I will admit though that C-Brite worked great cleaning my commercial bottles and removing labels.

Does anyone have any further info that can help me make a permanent switch? I am Leaning towards Star Sans because it is less odor and can be reused. Also as far as cleaning goes what is best? C-Brite seems to work as a cleanser too but I also have Barkeepers Friend not to mention regular OxyClean and Bleach.

I am really looking for the best cleanser/Sanitizer for plastic components, mainly tubing at this point. C-Brite concerns me because after a short soak in C-Brite the tubing remains cloudy. Is that a big deal?

C-Brite is a cleanser and Star San is a sanitizer and they are two different things. C-Brite and One Step had to change their labels because they did not produce the results that are required by the FDA to call it sanitizer. C-Brite and One Step are great cleanser and probably do kill nasties after a prolonged soak but should not be confused with a FDA approved 30 second contact sanitizer.

Use the Star San. :mug:

C-Brite is a cleanser and Star San is a sanitizer and they are two different things. C-Brite and One Step had to change their labels because they did not produce the results that are required by the FDA to call it sanitizer. C-Brite and One Step are great cleanser and probably do kill nasties after a prolonged soak but should not be confused with a FDA approved 30 second contact sanitizer.

Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for.:ban:

While I also prefer Star-San what is listed above is not quite correct:

http://www.fallbright.com/newsc_brite.htm said:
C-Brite Packaging Change

Many of you have noticed the recent change in our C-Brite packaging. Please rest assured it’s exactly the same fine product it’s always been. The formulation hasn’t changed at all.

The packaging story is a bit complicated. The formulation of our C-Brite is a federally approved sanitizer and for years we thought that was enough. As we learned last year with our difficulties in one State, it turns out that sanitizers must be registered on a State-by-State basis, at a cost of up to $300 per State, per year. This neither we nor our producer is willing to do. It’s expensive and it’s a paperwork nightmare. Accordingly, we have had to take the product and sell it as a cleanser instead, just like we did with B-Brite years ago.

The second part of the story is where it gets even more complicated. Turns out sanitizers can be ‘no-rinse’ when used in the proper concentrations, which is how we labeled C-Brite in the past. Unfortunately, no cleansers are permitted to be labeled ‘no-rinse’. So, when we changed the packaging on C-Brite from ‘sanitizer’ to ‘cleanser’, even though we did not change the formulation at all, we cannot call C-Brite ‘no-rinse’ if we call it a cleanser.

So there it is: Same great product, same formula, and it will work just like it always did. Please reassure your customers that nothing has changed but the packaging. It’s just that we can no longer make the same claims. As we said, the formula happens to be a US EPA approved sanitizer, but we can’t sell it that way without registering it in every State.

On the positive side, we hope you’ll like the new plastic packs. They will keep the product fresher, and the packages are nice & shiny, and, we think, more attractive.
Instruction on the C-Brit packet: CLEANSING: Clean object to be sanitized with 1-2 packets C-Brite in 2 gallons of warm water and rinse well with potable water. It may be necessary to remove beer stool, gross filth and heavy soil from the surface by a pre-scrape, pre-flush and where necessary a pre-soak treatment.

SANITIZATION: No-rinse effective sanitization requires a solution of 100 ppm available chlorine. This will be achieved by dissolving the contents of an 0.8 ounce packet of C-Brite in 2 gallons of warm water. Thoroughly wet all surfaces to be sanitized. Let stand at least one minute. Drain and AIR DRY.

Ingredients: C-Brite is an active chlorine based preparation. Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate 6%, inert ingredients 94%. Provides 3.3% available chlorine

You can still use it as a sanitizer when used as described above, I had no problems continuing with c-brite until I used up my supply. I know many homebrewers who still use it to this day.

What's cheaper tho? C-Brite, or Star-San?

Star-San, hands down. But if you already have the C-Brite it is OK to use it up.

A 1# Jar of C-brite makes 20 Gallons of sanitizer.
A 8oz bottle of Star-San makes 40 Gallons of sanitizer.

The best price* I found online for Star-San 8oz is $7.50.
The best price* I found online for C-Brite is $5.99.

Star-San = $0.1875 / G
C-Brite = $0.2995 / G

Of course the 32oz bottle of Star-San is an even better deal.

Best price* $14.95 = $0.0934375 / G

*Best price does not include shipping or sales tax as applicable to your instance. Best price was based on a very cursory search, you may find a better price!

Star-San, hands down. But if you already have the C-Brite it is OK to use it up.

A 1# Jar of C-brite makes 20 Gallons of sanitizer.
A 8oz bottle of Star-San makes 40 Gallons of sanitizer.

The best price* I found online for Star-San 8oz is $7.50.
The best price* I found online for C-Brite is $5.99.

Star-San = $0.1875 / G
C-Brite = $0.2995 / G

Of course the 32oz bottle of Star-San is an even better deal.

Best price* $14.95 = $0.0934375 / G

*Best price does not include shipping or sales tax as applicable to your instance. Best price was based on a very cursory search, you may find a better price!

AND... I can reuse my StarSan solution for a LONG time...effectively.

anything wrong with using bleach?

You should listen to the Brew Strong episode on sanitizing to heat what's said about bleach. It's good if activated but requires acid to do so. Prolly not worth the effort when StarSan is so easy.

hold on a minute... I thought B Brite was the cleaner and C Brite was the sanitizer? I might as well go back to 10% bleach and rinse well.

hold on a minute... I thought B Brite was the cleaner and C Brite was the sanitizer? I might as well go back to 10% bleach and rinse well.

C Brite used to be labeled "cleanser/sanitizer". Due to labeling regulations they changed it to "cleanser" but many homebrewers still use it effectively as a sanitizer. Same story with "1-Step", used to be labeled "cleanser/sanitizer" now simply labeled "cleanser" but again, many homebrewers who "grew up" using the stuff still use it religiously.

Oh, just found the info:

http://www.fallbright.com/newsc_brite.htm said:
C-Brite Packaging Change

Many of you have noticed the recent change in our C-Brite packaging. Please rest assured it’s exactly the same fine product it’s always been. The formulation hasn’t changed at all.

The packaging story is a bit complicated. The formulation of our C-Brite is a federally approved sanitizer and for years we thought that was enough. As we learned last year with our difficulties in one State, it turns out that sanitizers must be registered on a State-by-State basis, at a cost of up to $300 per State, per year. This neither we nor our producer is willing to do. It’s expensive and it’s a paperwork nightmare. Accordingly, we have had to take the product and sell it as a cleanser instead, just like we did with B-Brite years ago.

The second part of the story is where it gets even more complicated. Turns out sanitizers can be ‘no-rinse’ when used in the proper concentrations, which is how we labeled C-Brite in the past. Unfortunately, no cleansers are permitted to be labeled ‘no-rinse’. So, when we changed the packaging on C-Brite from ‘sanitizer’ to ‘cleanser’, even though we did not change the formulation at all, we cannot call C-Brite ‘no-rinse’ if we call it a cleanser.

So there it is: Same great product, same formula, and it will work just like it always did. Please reassure your customers that nothing has changed but the packaging. It’s just that we can no longer make the same claims. As we said, the formula happens to be a US EPA approved sanitizer, but we can’t sell it that way without registering it in every State.

So according to that B brite was a sanitizer at one time too. Is it still? I got plenty.

So according to that B brite was a sanitizer at one time too. Is it still? I got plenty.

I don't know. personally I'd use b-brite for cleaning and if I had any c-brite left use it for sanitizing, then switch to star-san. In the long run star-san is cheaper.

Back