BYO Focal Banger Clone Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralelen

Reaction score
The new issue of BYO has a recipe for Focal Banger which I would like to do. It is a wonderful beer and I am lucky enough to live close enough to the source to get it on a semi-regular basis, but I digress.

The beer is listed at 80 IBU but only calls for 4mL of HopShot for bittering. I was under the impression that 1 mL of HopShot equals 10 IBUs during a 60 minute boil. The other hop additions are at 0 minutes (1.5oz of citra and 2.5oz of mosaic). I cant for the life of me figure out how this equates to 80 IBUs.

Any thoughts?

not sure how much of an increase it will be for IBU's but wouldn't this beer be a 90 minute boil? Maybe with first wort hopping too? Both of those will crease IBUs.

I haven't seen the recipe but I'd guess the rest of the IBUs come from the flameout/whirlpool additions depending on the whirlpool temp. New England IPAs usually have a pretty low bittering charge and get most of their IBU from late hops

Pretty sure it must be a typo. I was flicking through that issue last night and plugging some numbers into Beersmith to try one or more of the IPA recipes at some point, I don't have the issue in front of me now, but the Julius recipe had 8mL of Hopshot for the same IBUs if I remember correctly.

I wrote BYO and got this reply:

Hi Ralelen,
You are correct that this recipe only gets 40 IBUs from the HopShot addition. The additional 40 ibus will come from that flameout addition that you reference. The recipe does ask for a 30 minute whirlpool during which alpha acids will still be converting to iso-alpha acids during those 30 minutes. This generally will equal about hops added and boiled for 10-15 minutes by our estimates.
Here is some additional reading on the topic if you so desire...
https://byo.com/mead/item/2808-hop-stands

So many people will cool the wort down to below 180F (82C) before adding the whirlpool hop addition. If that is the case for you, then yes, you’ll want to increase the HopShot addition to compensate for the loss of bittering you would have received from the flameout addition.

Hope that makes sense and best of luck if you brew the recipe.

Cheers!
Dave Green

The new issue of BYO has a recipe for Focal Banger which I would like to do. It is a wonderful beer and I am lucky enough to live close enough to the source to get it on a semi-regular basis, but I digress.

The beer is listed at 80 IBU but only calls for 4mL of HopShot for bittering. I was under the impression that 1 mL of HopShot equals 10 IBUs during a 60 minute boil. The other hop additions are at 0 minutes (1.5oz of citra and 2.5oz of mosaic). I cant for the life of me figure out how this equates to 80 IBUs.

Any thoughts?

Could you post he recipe from the magazine please? I can't believe I threw out that issue and did not copy it.

Back