Buying smaller amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I really like Morebeer and they have been really reliable. But, I find myself having to buy full pounds of grains when I only need may half to a quarter of it. Is there any savings to buying from somewhere else in smaller quantities? I typically use the foodsaver and vacuum pack anything left over, but just thinking out loud. Thanks.

If you vacuum pack the grain and keep it cool and dry the grain it will be fine for a year or more if not milled.

With a little planning and tweaking of recipes you can limit the types of grain you keep on hand which helps go thru them faster.
Vacuum packing whole (unmilled) grain is not really necessary. Just store cool and dry in original packaging. Using O2 barrier bags, such as those in which 2x5 pound Quaker Old Fashioned or Quick Oats come in, helps keep freshness even better.

Milled grain probably better vacuum packed if stored for longer than say 3 months.

Don't you have a LHBS?
Exactly my thoughts too!

[Added] Although selection at an LHBS may be much more limited.
There's also a potential issue with an LHBS hanging onto slow selling malt too long. The larger outfits go through their stock faster, potentially preventing old malt syndrome.

That said, I have a pretty large stock of (unmilled) specialty, crystal, and dark roasted malts that are many years old now. They still taste fine, though, and make good beer.

Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts too!

[Added] Although selection at an LHBS may be much more limited.
There's also a potential issue with an LHBS hanging onto slow selling malt too long. The larger outfits go through their stock faster, potentially preventing old malt syndrome.

That said, I have a pretty large stock of (unmilled) specialty, crystal, and dark roasted malts that are many years old now. They still taste fine, though, and make good beer.
MY LHBS has over 50 malts available by the ounce. But there are a few that are only available by the pound and those are all ones that you'd never use at more than around 5%. Kinda weird if you ask me.
@mac_1103 your comment actually makes sense in respect to @IslandLizard 's bit about slow-selling; If other LHBS's are much like mine, they rapaidly go through the stock required to make clones (I've seen folks at mine load entire pickup-beds with grains for Labatt and Bud clones...LCD), but many things like the darker crystals, amber, peated and more specialty malts do sometimes get dust on the bags.

Fewer local shops these days and if you’re buying online then smaller quantities is working against you, as most places have a minimum order to get free shipping. Depending on your order, the free shipping can save you $10 or more.

Don't you have a LHBS?
Yes, well it is a satellite store for Morebeer. Nice guys, but it is about an hour away, and with gas prices and free shipping I just order thru the web. I do like to go down there and window shop once in a while, so maybe my next recipe will be thru them. I am thinking, as long as it is something I will use, I can just vacuum pack it and hold onto it. Seems now that I don't order my grains crushed, and I am falling into a few recipes that I like, I can order more grain and store them a bit better. My hope is to start buying bulk on at least the 2 row as that seems to be what i use the most. Then maybe work into the other stuff too. Either way, yes, to answer your question, I do have a somewhat local place. LOL.

Fewer local shops these days and if you’re buying online then smaller quantities is working against you, as most places have a minimum order to get free shipping. Depending on your order, the free shipping can save you $10 or more.
Yep!!!! That is why I don't mind ordering online. If I end up with a half pound of my smaller ingredients, I am sure they can be used for my next batch in some way. I have fallen into liking a few that are going to be on my rotation once I get a multiple tap setup (when I can convince the wife it will save me a lot of money, LOL). With Morebeer, I routinely order one or two recipes worth of stuff, and that takes me well over the dollar amount hat qualifies for free shipping. So for now, it is onlne with an occasional visit to the Morebeer here locally. Rock On!!!!!!!!!

@mac_1103 your comment actually makes sense in respect to @IslandLizard 's bit about slow-selling; If other LHBS's are much like mine, they rapaidly go through the stock required to make clones (I've seen folks at mine load entire pickup-beds with grains for Labatt and Bud clones...LCD), but many things like the darker crystals, amber, peated and more specialty malts do sometimes get dust on the bags.
I have not yet reached the status of buying bigger quantities, but I can see where 50 pounds of say 2 row is a good thing to have on hand. But for most, in my opinion, having the crystal malts, and the others in bulk just doesn't make sense right now. If I had room and a way to store them, maybe I would think about 5 pounds of some assorted specialty or lower used malts.

I saw a guy at the local place load up about 10 50 pounds sacks in his truck. I did not see what they were, but guessing they were the base malts of some sorts. I am going to have to take a ride out to the Morebeer and see what they have. Might be worth it to just go and say hi. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!

I built a cool storage area on a North corner of my basement. Ground temp here in Ohio is about 55 F year around. I insulated the area on the ”house side” and it stays a coolish low to mid 60s most of the year. I live ~30 minute drive from “Lable Peelers” they regularly have grain on sale for < $1.00 per pound. I buy in bulk any have had dry, cool, sealed grain over a year old with no deterioration of quality. At least, to my aged and unsophisticated taste buds.

Keep leftover grains in ziplocs stored inside a sealed 5-gallon bucket. If stored in a cool, dry location, unmilled grain should last a couple years.

When I accumulate a bunch of leftover grains, I make some off-the-wall brew with it. I call those Leftovertures.

Kansas_-_Leftoverture.jpg

Once upon a time I tried sealing small amounts of leftover grain with a vac sealer. The pointy ends of some of the kernels poked holes in the bags and let air in.

Until you start dialing into recipes you like you're going to end up with these little baggies of left over grain. I do the same as Maxstout says, keep them in a larger sealed container. I have about a dozen five gallon pails with Gamma seal covers. I keep base grains I use often in them and some smalls of grains I hardly ever use. You'll end up with a few, but maybe someday you'll find a use for them. Make sure everything is labeled and dated. I had a half pail of mystery grain that I ended up mixing in to batches, not knowing what it was. In a 15 gallon batch I could hide it.

Back