Buying Rhizomes - starting a hop farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 121283

Reaction score
I know of the big box sites to order rhizomes but does anyone know of a good source for a bulk purchase someone could start a hop farm with?

I know of the big box sites to order rhizomes but does anyone know of a good source for a bulk purchase someone could start a hop farm with?

I got in a group buy (with local farmers) from Crosbys in Oregon. We got a great deal < $1.50 per rhizome. I bought 650 total of 4 varieties and all did well.

Start here: http://nationalcleanplantnetwork.org/HOPS_CPN/

We used to buy rhizomes, sell rhizomes, trade rhizomes...no more. We got burned too many times. Stuff would show up with systemic downy mildew, virus, etc. I know some who got dead sticks instead of rhizomes.

We got so sick of it that we built our own greenhouse and use some of the labs listed in the CPN to verify the source material is clean before propagating in the greenhouse. So we end up starting with plants instead of rhizomes but its the only way to verify its clean.

Start with that CPN and work out. Whoever you contact, ask a lot of questions about how they make certain the plants are disease free. You don't want to start out with problems you can't get rid of.

Back