Buying a used co2 tank.. Questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schaefer4152

Reaction score
I have some questions, I posted a want add on craigs for a co2 tank and got a reply from this chick wanting this 20lbr for $35. Is that a good deal? Is it Aluminum like she said? Is their a way to tell if it's owned or leased because she has no clue.. THANKS FOR THE HELP!! :mug:

e5so6g.jpg

great deal. call the local welding shop and ask if they swap tanks. I walk in with an empty and walk out with a different tank, full, for $15. My first tank was out of date for pressure test (stamped in the metal). They did not care. They just swap them. I have had pepsi tanks, coke tanks, and a blue tank like above. All steel. They charge more to fill your tank (at least for beer gas, as they send it in on a 5lb).

Thanks mike for the reply.. whe chick must not know much because I told her id give her $25 for it and she replyed that if she didn't get $35 for it, she'd scrap the Aluminum.. I never saw a co2 aluminum tanks painted.. What do you think it's worth?

How much it's worth partly depends on how current the hydro cert is. Either way, $35 is a good deal. If it was leased, there would be some obvious markings on there stating who it belongs to. A lot of the aluminum tanks get painted, and the handles on that one are a giveaway that it is in fact aluminum like she claims it is. Sometimes when swapping at a welding shop they don't think to check the hydro date, or don't care that it's past due, but I'd still plan on spending an extra $15-$25 when swapping/filling if it does turn out to be past due.

Here's how to read the tank code, including the hydro test date.

http://www.catalinacylinders.com/markco2.html

My CO2 guys don't give a honk about "Property of XYZ, do not refill under penalty of law" stickers, and they will just swap out test-overdue tanks with freshly tested ones. I go to a dedicated beverage tank distributor that goes through hundreds - if not thousands - of tanks a week. I bet they just retest the swapped tank, buff off the legal threat sticker, and sell it to someone else. Welding shops may feel differently about these issues.

I would totally pay $35 for a second 20lb tank, not to mention a first.

buy it and swap it.

sells new for $80-100.

How much it's worth partly depends on how current the hydro cert is. Either way, $35 is a good deal. If it was leased, there would be some obvious markings on there stating who it belongs to. A lot of the aluminum tanks get painted, and the handles on that one are a giveaway that it is in fact aluminum like she claims it is. Sometimes when swapping at a welding shop they don't think to check the hydro date, or don't care that it's past due, but I'd still plan on spending an extra $15-$25 when swapping/filling if it does turn out to be past due.

What's the deal with the handle? I have the same handles on my steel tanks.

Hmmm... The only tanks I've ever seen with that exact handle have been aluminum, which led me to think they were exclusive to aluminum tanks. Apparently I was mistaken.

is chilton wi anywhere near duluth? If so I'd say its a bad deal and oh, btw, give me her number so I can go and save you from buying it. Jump on it, good deal.

Back