Buying a scoby question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txbeek

Reaction score
I am just getting started brewing Kombucha and will probably need to buy a scoby. Given they come in different diameters and thicknesses, is a larger diameter but thinner scoby better than a thicker but smaller diameter one if the goal is to grow one to fit a larger diameter container?

Thanks,

Pgap

Any reason you can't just grow a scoby yourself?

Just whip up a 1 gallon batch of sweet tea, dump in a bottle of commercial unflavored/unfiltered Kombucha, and let it sit for ~1 month. Presto, your own scoby.

As for diameter preferences when buying a scoby, pick the one the closest approximates the inner-diameter of your fermenting vessel, without exceeding the size. Thickness really doesn't matter so much, in my (limited) experience.

Any reason you can just grow a scoby yourself?

This.

I recently started brewing kombucha and made a small starter with half a bottle of GT's added. Grew a nice scoby within 3 weeks or so.

Where are you located? I've already got extras and I'm sure anyone else who brews it on a regular bases would as well.

If you decide to buy one,
Scobys usually come in something like 4 inch circles that are about 1/2 inch thick - that should be enough to brew you a 2l batch in a week. 2 of these for a gallon.

Don't worry. No matter what size scoby you get or brew on your own, it will grow to the diameter of the vessel you are using. All of mine have grown to match the vessel big or small.

Don't worry. No matter what size scoby you get or brew on your own, it will grow to the diameter of the vessel you are using. All of mine have grown to match the vessel big or small.

Granted I'm only two batches in, but mine have sunk to somewhere between the middle and bottom and a new Scoby has grown on the top. YRMV.

I'm in Victoria Texas. The only local commercial KT is GT Dave's enlightened line. I read that because of some anti alcohol additive, it won't grow a scoby. If that's incorrect, I'm game to grow my own. No one sells the classic line here for some reason.

Thanks for the replys. I will read the tutorial.

TxBeek

I'm in Victoria Texas. The only local commercial KT is GT Dave's enlightened line. I read that because of some anti alcohol additive, it won't grow a scoby. If that's incorrect, I'm game to grow my own. No one sells the classic line here for some reason.

TxBeek

Hmmmmm, so I just researched that and came across the FoodRenegade post I'm sure you read, too. They're a legit source, so I would trust them.

Dude, I'll mail you one. I'm bottling my batch today, so I'll have one to give. PM me your mailing address. Or, if you find yourself in New Braunfels, you can pick it up. Just let me know so I don't trash it if you want it :)

TxBeek

Victoria, Texas...where is that? Just kidding. I also live in Big Vic.
Go to the HEB Plus on the bulk isle. They have some bottled Kombucha there to help make a starter.

If you are in no hurry, I just composted my SCOBY but pulled off a thin layer to start my next batch. Growing a brand new one. It should be ready in about a week if you want one.

Ibbones,

HEB only sells "enlightened" GT. Is that what you used to grow your scoby?

Ibbones,

HEB only sells "enlightened" GT. Is that what you used to grow your scoby?

O'h man, I do not remember. It was last spring when I started and had a SCOBY going since then. I got bust over the Christmas holiday and left my batch sitting in the jar for almost two months. Had a vinegar taste so I made another batch and peeled off a thin layer off the bottom of my thick SCOBY and started again but it was just a week ago.
I would be happy to cut it in half and bring you some starter juice if you want some.

Claircunn83 is sending a scoby to me so I'm good right now. Keep yours intact and we can trade babies in the future.

But I am trying to grow one from an enlightened bottle. I think that's all HEB sells, so if it worked for you maybe it will work for me as well.

But thanks for the offer. I'm not in any major hurry.

You can buy them online, Brooklyn Kombucha sells them and they are solid starters.

I'd be interested in seeing how a purchased culture compares to a "brewers" culture. I don't even know what is in mine, lagers and ales, wines, meads, sours, vinegar, batch after batch thrown on top of each other. Wonder if that makes any difference?

I have an active Brooklyn SCOBY and an active "brewers" SCOBY, visually or taste wise I can't tell the difference, haven't noticed any major differences in fermentation either.

Latest posts

Back