Buying a new truck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the brake comment I mentioned earlier.

For those of you that know the difference between disc and drum brakes, Yota has a rear brake that has a small drum with a disc on the outer lip. The inner small drum is used for the parking brake while the outer disc is used for the main braking in the rear in conjunction with the front disc. Hope this clears things up. GM adopted this concept on their rear brakes.

Here is a picture. You can see the inner part of the black section has a braking surface for the brake shoes like a drum brake. [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=ms-android-verizon&gl=us&biw=585&bih=304&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=rear+brakes+on+chevy+silverado&oq=rear+brakes+on+ch&aq=0S&aqi=g-S1g-mS1&aql=&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i24j0i5i24.85102.114032.0.118057.75.40.13.2.2.1.523.7363.2j0j11j7j3j1.26.0...0.0.bVaYVRnx0t0&mvs=0#i=43[/ame]

For those of you that know the difference between disc and drum brakes, Yota has a rear brake that has a small drum with a disc on the outer lip. The inner small drum is used for the parking brake while the outer disc is used for the main braking in the rear in conjunction with the front disc. Hope this clears things up. GM adopted this concept on their rear brakes.

Here is a picture. You can see the inner part of the black section has a braking surface for the brake shoes like a drum brake. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...j0j11j7j3j1.26.0...0.0.bVaYVRnx0t0&mvs=0#i=43

:fro::rockin:;):D:drunk:

I'm still driving a 2000 dakota V8 manual trans but it only has 74k on it. I swear I started considering buying a new pickup last year but there is absolutely nothing that I'm interested in. I would have bought a new Ram 1500 but you can't even order it with a manual trans. Everything else looks like dog crap to me.

Let us know, and post pic's of what you buy!

I am saving for next year, as my '97 V-10 Dodge is getting old. I drive far into the mountains and haul big stuff, so it's an extra cab 4x4 with an 8' bed. I recently repainted and have done tons-o-stuff to keep it a top notch truck.

The kids are getting older and don't go to the backwoods with my wife and as much, but I would love to hear more about what you buy, why you bought it, and how you like it!

They sure are, they gave me $20k for a truck that i paid $21k for 8 years earlier.

exactly. ill stick with my yotas. owned 4, truck years 1988-2010, and all were solid.

cant go wrong with the tundra, awesome trucks and hold their value.

we wont even start with the toyota recalls and media coverage.

Well, here's my old truck:
DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

Aside from a few scratches on the outside, it's in perfect shape. I took some pictures (for Craigslist) and I'm glad I did. I really liked this truck, and I'm glad I owned it.

Here is a picture. You can see the inner part of the black section has a braking surface for the brake shoes like a drum brake.

I think I understand even tho' the pic didn't work for me. (Wouldn't load)

I have a 2003 Sierra 2500HD and it doesn't have this.

Here ya go Gila ... this shows the inside of the drum with some wear. Then of course the outer disc. My Z71 was exactly the same.

131_0801_07_z+2007_toyota_tundra+rear_brakes.jpg

I got my new truck today! Pictures will follow- it was a mad race home to get to our lake cottage before our guest, so no pictures.

A couple of things- we got a "lesser" model as far as options and stuff. That's good as far as I'm concerned. I don't like/need cargo bed lights and stuff. But the Toyota has harder (cheaper) plastic inside the cabin with rock hard armrests. The seats aren't as comfortable (it was an hour from the dealer home) as the older Chevy, and the ride is a bit noisier. It doesn't shift as smoothly between gears (more truck-like, if that makes sense). But we're thrilled with it, and especially the price. The doors feel solid when you open and close them, and it feels really good to drive. I like the safety ratings, the braking system, the way the doors open, etc.

One interesting thing to note- on the way home, it's a two-lane curvy highway. As Bob said, "What are the odds that we get behind a paint truck ALL THE WAY HOME?!?!" as they painted the yellow (and white) lines and we couldn't pass. The truck had about 7 miles on it when we had that happen!

But the Toyota has harder (cheaper) plastic inside the cabin with rock hard armrests. The seats aren't as comfortable (it was an hour from the dealer home) as the older Chevy, and the ride is a bit noisier. It doesn't shift as smoothly between gears (more truck-like, if that makes sense).

Glad that you are happy with your truck. :drunk:

Wow! My truck is a 1986 mini-Ram with 199K on it. Bought it in 2006. I just replaced the carburetor with a 2-barrel progressive Weber. I've only purchased three new cars in my life and I suspect the Sprinter I got in 2004 will be the last one.

On the other hand, being reluctant to spend money improves your chances of having some around when you need to.

Yooper, buy what makes you happy!

I wasn't going to post but I keep reading all the "Toyota makes a solid truck" posts.

With that said I'm a mechanic by trade and I have worked on many of both, I think they both make a good truck, but Toyota is the only company I know of that had a FRAME recall on the Tacoma and Trundra. My buddy works at a Toyota dealer and at one point he was doing a frame a week for a few months straight.

I currently own a 96 Ram 1500 with 235k on it and I love it, it is not the best on gas but I also don't drive it everyday. It's my I gotta haul something, move something, tow something vehicle and the let's go load up the truck and go camping truck.

I'm not really biased toward anything, they ALL have their problems that's why there is a warranty and a service department.

Yooper, buy what makes you happy!

I wasn't going to post but I keep reading all the "Toyota makes a solid truck" posts.

With that said I'm a mechanic by trade and I have worked on many of both, I think they both make a good truck, but Toyota is the only company I know of that had a FRAME recall on the Tacoma and Trundra. My buddy works at a Toyota dealer and at one point he was doing a frame a week for a few months straight.

I currently own a 96 Ram 1500 with 235k on it and I love it, it is not the best on gas but I also don't drive it everyday. It's my I gotta haul something, move something, tow something vehicle and the let's go load up the truck and go camping truck.

I'm not really biased toward anything, they ALL have their problems that's why there is a warranty and a service department.

And they owned up by swapping the frame, or buying the truck back for 1.5x book value iirc.

And they did it on old trucks with tons of miles on them.

Fwiw, we have seen fords with broken frames too. Ford told them to get lost....

Like you said, they all have their issues, and rust effects them all!

Congrats!

What motor is in it?

It's a smaller V-8. It's a 4.6L while my Chevy was a 5.3L. I'm not complaining- I knew before I bought it that it was more "truck like" in the ride than my old truck. And it is. And it was over $2000 less than a similarly equipped Chevy. I don't expect a leather armrest for the price of hard plastic, so I'm not at all disappointed and I hope it didn't sound that way. I'll post a few pictures in a bit.

Here are a few photos, as the truck is parked out at my cottage.

DSCN0360.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

Bob mentioned that there were just a "few specks" of yellow paint on it and he got it all off. I just laughed because that's the way our luck is. The truck had 7 miles on it when we got behind the road painting truck.

When we bought our car in 2009, I picked it up at the dealer (150 miles away) and drove it home. As I drove out of the dealership and onto the freeway entrance, a big truck zoomed by and threw a rock up and hit my windshield. That vehicle had maybe 10 miles on it at the time- since we test drove it a wee bit further I guess.

I figure we always have to get the first scratch out of the way, to get over the paranoia but I'd like to have it pristine for, I don't know, maybe 1 day before getting it "Yooperized".

That's a nice-looking truck, Yoop!

I really like the 18" wheels- it's a little higher than my other truck and I like that.

The only thing is, I'm kinda short so I can't reach anything in the bed. It was the same way with the Chevy, but this one is even a bit taller. I like getting in and out- it's not a problem at all with it being higher.

That's all fine and good, but how many cupholders does it have??

Haha- you know, I don't really know for sure. The salesman was pointing them out to us, but since no one every sits in the back seat (except for Toby) those 6 back there don't count.

But let's see- two on the console, one (or two) on each front door I think, and then two come out where there would have been an ashtray years ago. So, that's about 14 cup holders total. In a six passenger vehicle (at most). Even I don't have THAT many cups of coffee a day! :D

Nice truck, keep it forever!

You really can not do better than a 'Yota IMO.

My Tacoma gets the sh*t kicked out of it 2 to 4 days a week off road for work, and I live several miles off pavement. I drive down a wash to get home (a shortcut :D )

5 years old and 115K, my Taco has performed well.

Congratsilations on the new truck! Don't know why you got rid of a perfectly good Chevy, but you did stimulate the economy! My truck is a '98 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab...with a full 8 foot bed! GAWD, it is loooong!

Enjoy the new truck...and make sure Bob puts the first dent in it!

glenn514:mug:

I had a Tundra Rock Warrior, great truck. Lightning fast (0-60 in 5.1), good mileage, tons of torque.

I want it back.

Cubslover said:
I had a Tundra Rock Warrior, great truck. Lightning fast (0-60 in 5.1), good mileage, tons of torque.

I want it back.

Crew max or double cab? Those crew max rock warriors are mean looking S.O.B.'s!!

Latest posts

Back