Butane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix1854

Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions on butane burners. I only brew 1 gallon batches and have been using an electric stove top. As many of you know, it barely gets me to a rolling boil even for 1 gallon. I want to keep things inside so I was thinking of getting a butane burner. Any recommendations? I am also curious as to the efficiency, such as how long do the butane canisters last per brew?

What's the highest wattage/output burner that stove has? Most kitchen stoves/ranges I've seen can boil 1-2 gallons of water without any problem.

Those small canisters for portable/camping stoves don't contain much propane. Maybe enough for a 1 hour boil, if you don't have to crank it up all the way, not sure.

But they should be used outside, which will likely reduce their heating potential big time due to it usually being colder and wind driving off the heat.

Induction is extremely efficient, even more so than your electric stove. Not that you are interested in saving money, but it helps a lot that virtually 100% of the induction energy is directly transferred into your beer to produce a vigorous boil. Since induction also doesn't have any exposed flames you can boost boiling performance by insulating your brew pot with a few layers of reflectix; just make sure it starts about 1" up from the bottom edge of the pot to prevent it sticking. I use three layers around my brew kettle and secure it with binder clamps.

1593749194015.png

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yeah my kitchen range just doesn’t get a proper boil going on the highest setting, even with a 1 gallon boil! I have also thought about an induction burner. Since I only want to brew indoors (for now) and only 1-5 gallons, I really don’t want a propane burner. But I also want to minimize any fire risk of course.

Insulating with reflectix sounds like an good method as well, but I imagine a decent induction stove is going to get me where I need to be boil wise?

Yes, an 1800W induction burner will quickly get your 1 gallon batches to a vigorous boil. What is your pre-boil volume? I suggest before you get started brewing with the induction burner you do a test boil and determine your boil off rate.

When my wife makes jam in the fall she uses a 1500W induction burner and a 14qt stock pot filled almost to the rim to boil the fruit for an extended time. It works out really well and is faster getting to a boil than our gas range.

Yes, an 1800W induction burner will quickly get your 1 gallon batches to a vigorous boil. What is your pre-boil volume? I suggest before you get started brewing with the induction burner you do a test boil and determine your boil off rate.

When my wife makes jam in the fall she uses a 1500W induction burner and a 14qt stock pot filled almost to the rim to boil the fruit for an extended time. It works out really well and is faster getting to a boil than our gas range.
My preboil volume is about 1.25-1.5 gallons. But I think investing in a decent induction burner seems worth it.

sounds like a 1500W works just fine. I see there are several 1800W that are around $50-$70 and have favorable reviews from home brewers.

Induction is extremely efficient [...]
That ^

My induction plate: Avantco IC3500 @Webstaurant.com $170
240V 3500W
5-6 gallon batches. Occasionally 10 gallons.
Simply love it!
Using it for much more than brewing.

You do need an induction suitable pot/kettle.

sounds like a 1500W works just fine. I see there are several 1800W that are around $50-$70 and have favorable reviews from home brewers.
I've seen them for ~$30. Just for sake of "future proofing," 1500-1800W is not enough power for 5-6 gallon full volume boil batches, especially all-grain, as you need to boil 6-7 gallons of wort.

Make sure you can get to the controls once the pot is on there. The pot can overhang the indicated "induction circle," even the whole plate, that's not an issue.

Induction is extremely efficient, even more so than your electric stove. Not that you are interested in saving money, but it helps a lot that virtually 100% of the induction energy is directly transferred into your beer

don't forget generating the electricity isn't 100% effec......

Latest posts

Back