Busted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smagee

Most impressive "member"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious: has anyone else had the cops show up to their place because their beer equipment was mistaken for a meth lab? I admit, I'd always wondered if it'd actually happen, and sure enough, my complex's security staff noticed my stir plate (cultivating some 3711 saison yeast) in the kitchen and called up the cops to check it out. Sure was a hell of a way to be welcomed home!

Thankfully, the cops and I just had a good laugh when I explained that my buckets, while full of liquid, were only alcoholic, not explosive :). Still, I think I'll keep my stir plate on a counter that's not in full view of the windows from now on...

hahah never happened here, although when im' weighing hops in the dining room, makes me wonder if anyone is going to show up

Wow, security staff peering in windows.

I live in the country but in a neighborhood. My friends always ask if my neighbors know that I'm brewing beer or do think it's a meth lab. So far no problems.

I brew in plain view on the deck.

Wow, security staff peering in windows.

This is CREEPY. Not a little creepy REALLY CREEPY. They must have been using binoculars to even be able to see it. I would be putting up some blackout shades...

Yeah, it makes you feel a lot safer knowing that the people who are supposed to be protecting your home are peering through your windows.

I dunno- the stuff was clearly visible through the windows according to O Poster, and to me, it indicates that the security staff is doing the job. I think perhaps they might have handled it with a bit more finesse, say doing a little questioning before wasting the cops' time, but I don't see that the security people did anything out of line here. O'course, I live in the country, and the rabbits, raccoons, and birds don't care much what I'm doing.

I wonder sometimes while I am measuring out white powder on a jewelry scale what most people would say if they saw it.

hahah never happened here, although when im' weighing hops in the dining room, makes me wonder if anyone is going to show up

No, but hops, industrial hemp, marijuana are in the same cannabis family though. Which make you wonder about it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

"The genus Cannabis was formerly placed in the Nettle (Urticaceae) or Mulberry (Moraceae) family, but is now considered along with hops (Humulus sp.) to belong to the Hemp family"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hop_(plant)

"The female flowers (often called "cones") of H. lupulus are known as hops, and are used as a culinary flavoring and stabilizer, especially in the brewing of beer. The hop is part of the family Cannabaceae, which also includes the genera Cannabis (hemp), and Celtis (hackberries)."

I live on a relatively busy intersection, and I take every chance I get to brew on my driveway with my whole rig in plain view. I also live less than half a mile from the nearest police and fire stations, so I've been hoping they stop by to ask what it's about. I reckon it would take a whole new kind of stupid to suspect someone is cooking meth on their driveway but I've seen & heard dumber things.

I love when people drive by and stare or ask "whatcha cookin?!" and I yell "BEEEEER!" I always get a good response. ;)

Makes you afraid to buy a gram scale, doesn't it? I am suprised we dont have to fill out paperwork to purchase one.

I usually brew where my driveway meets my garage and I'm waiting for the day one of my neighbors calls the cops on me. The neighbor to the immediate left of me knows I home brew and I've even given him a beer. The rest of the neighbors have not been told what I do, but I'm lucky because everyone close to me minds their own business.

There is a ********* two houses down that will rev up his motorcyle as loud as possible while sitting in his driveway. Think of the episode of South Park with the bikers. That's him. It annoys the piss out of me and I'm suspicious that he's compensating for something...

Latest posts

Back