Burnt mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardbemboka

Reaction score
1st Brew with all grain 3.6kg crystal malt, Pils, 70l stainless steel MT with a false bottom, gas burner, 3 step mash. After flameout noticed a burt smokey smell and slight burnt taste then when sparging realized that the false bottom had become disconnected from the outlet so placed a sieve over the outlet. So I now have 21l of slightly smokey darker than expected
cloudy lumpy wort with a SG of 1018. Is it worthwhile proceeding with the boil? Will the hops (126g Saaz, Hersbruchuer, Hellatauer) over power the burnt taste?

Not much to ferment at SG of 1.018, I'd probably quit now unless I wanted some weak barely tea.

As to the burnt part, a trace of this might be OK in heavier beers, but this seems not to be one of those.

Double check SG before you dump it though.

3.6kg crystal malt, Pils
What gravity were you aiming for or expect?
What was your grain bill (individual grain weights or %)?
126g Saaz, Hersbruchuer, Hellatauer
That's 4.5 oz of noble hops. What kind of beer were you brewing?

Some people really like smoked beers (rauchbier, gratzer). Not sure if yours is tasty, though, it's really an unintentionally burnt beer (wort).
Most "unintentional" things that happen to beers are usually not so good, such as infections. I would put this mishap in the same class.

Direct firing a mash is always a chancy proposition. I use induction which directly heats the bottom. When step mashing I stir and scrape the bottom with a wooden paddle, like there is no tomorrow. And there isn't, as far as the mash is concerned.

Back