Burns on the bottom of my pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Is it normal to have burn marks on the bottom of my stainless steal pot after brewing? I'm just wondering if I'm caramelizing the sugars.

Inside or outside your pot? It is never good to have burns inside your brew pot. It means uneven heat distribution, scorching the wort, and caramelizing sugars. (Minor discolorations are acceptable.)

Are you using a flimsy one-piece brew pot or a thicker kettle with cladding? A heavier duty kettle will tolerate uneven heat distribution more so than a flimsy brew pot.

Inside or outside your pot? It is never good to have burns inside your brew pot. It means uneven heat distribution, scorching the wort, and caramelizing sugars. (Minor discolorations are acceptable.)

On the inside. Are you using a flimsy one-piece brew pot or a thicker kettle with cladding? A heavier duty kettle will tolerate uneven heat distribution more so than a flimsy brew pot.

Burns inside the pot. I was using a flimsy stainless steel pot. I just bought a new 10 gallon thick aluminum pot.

If you are getting scorching inside the pot most likely you are scorching your wort and caramelizing and burning it inside the pot. You can continue to use the old pot, just turn down the heat a little and be sure to stir really well.

Are you brewing with (liquid)extracts? If so, it is a good idea to remove the pot from the heat before adding it and stir really well, then when you put it back on the heat keep stirring as the extract really likes to settle to the bottom unless it is dissolved well. if not stirred thoroughly and well, the sugars then will scorch which is no fun.

Yes there is LME in it. Hopefully it didn't scorch too much to matter. I guess I'll find out how well it ferments. I made a 1.14 OG barleywine so hopefully I don't have too much caramelization.

It should be fine. You may notice it is sweeter and darker than intended though. Unless you saw black chunks of burned on material when you drained it into the fermentor you should not get any charcoal flavor.

It will be beer.

It should be fine. You may notice it is sweeter and darker than intended though. Unless you saw black chunks of burned on material when you drained it into the fermentor you should not get any charcoal flavor.

It will be beer.

What do you mean by black chunks? Like globs of burnt sugar?

yeah when wort over-caramelizes, it becomes scorched black gunk that is a hude PITA to get off. I usually soak in PBW for multiple days....

yeah when wort over-caramelizes, it becomes scorched black gunk that is a hude PITA to get off. I usually soak in PBW for multiple days....

I don't think I saw that. I poured water in it and it just came off when I rubbed it with my fingers.

Edit: that sounded so... Ehh... Strange lol

Back