burning boils off 1 gal/45min

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
My new burner typically boils off a gallon in about 45 minutes. Is it okay to just do a shorter boil if IBU's isn't a factor? I'll get more than what I need out of 45 minutes of boiling and it will get down to my target fermentation volume.

Any suggestions?

Someone asked a similar question recently... it will change your hop profile - less bitterness for a sweeter beer.

are you doing extract or all grain? do you have extra room in your boil pot to add 1/3 gallon of extra water and do a full 60 minute boil?

either way, here is a free recipe calculator. BE SURE TO SET THE BOIL SIZE AND THE BATCH SIZE CORRECTLY. also be sure to set the acid level on the hops correctly if you have those available.
Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator

Someone asked a similar question recently... it will change your hop profile - less bitterness for a sweeter beer.

that is complete malarchy! he never said he wouldnt alter is hop amount and/or hop boil time....just his boil time. my only comment top the OP is that yes, a 45 minute boil is ok, but you really want at least 60 min....for DMS sake.

I'm not sure if you're brewing all grain or extract.

If all grain, just mash-in/sparge with a tad more water so you have more pre-boil volume to boil off.

If extract, add more water (at the beginning of the boil, as I assume you're doing full boils).

Keep in mind that you don't have to boil the snot out of your wort. As long as you have steady bubbles disrupting the surface (say, just above a "simmer") you're good to go. Don't shorten your boil, adjust your recipe.

Latest posts

Back