burning bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
For those who do a mash out, do you use a wire rack in the kettle to keep the bag from scorching or is it not a real concern?

Has anyone had a bag failure?

I have not done a mash out just because the wire rack I use doesn't completely cover the bottom of my kettle.

A mashout is typically done around 170F. That is below any temperature where youd need to worry about scorching your bags I would think

I did have a pizza screen with SS screws to keep the bag from touching the bottom of my kettle though

Thanks

My concern was that 170 mashout might be a lot hotter on the bottom surface of the kettle and wasn't sure about the bag.

I think the bag will burn if it touches the surface direct flame is being applied to.

I just stir the mash when increasing temps and have not burned a bag. FWIW I do not crank the heat up during the mash out like heating the strike water or getting the boil going.

If you use a aluminum pot or economy kettle with a single layer bottom you might be at a higher risk like Jim311 mentioned.

During direct heating, you do need to keep the bag off the bottom. My bag sits in a basket that has legs to keep it about 1" off the bottom. You could also use a false bottom. My friend used a metal trivet. You still need to stir constantly to distribute the heat through the grain.

When direct heating any mash it wise to stir constantly to avoid scorching, this also applies to a BIAB mash. The polyester voile is fairly heat resistant and can easily withstand mashout temps. I wouldn't bother with a pizza screen or FB, but would STIR CONSTANTLY w/ medium/low heat if making an adjustment to the mash temp.

I wouldn't bother mashing out ...JMO.

It is ok if the bag touches the bottom of the pot, as long as there is liquid wort there, but once that liquid wort boils away, that's when scorching can happen, did I mention STIR CONSTANTLY using medium/low heat...

This is a copy of what I just posted in a hop spider thread: I use the 5 gal nylon paint strainer bag from HD. From experience I can tell you that keeping it off the bottom is essential. It wouldn't surprise me if they are more susceptible to scorching than muslin. Fortunately, I had two on hand since I let the first one make contact with the bottom of the kettle for just a few seconds and it melted a 4 inch hole in it. What a mess!

Wilser is absolutely correct (and makes great custom BIAB bags!) but GHBWNY illustrates why keeping the bag off the bottom is the safest course. It only takes a moment of reaching for something or getting tired of stirring to scorch the bag.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453140957.214597.jpg

I use these wood clamps to make sure the bottom of the bag doesn't touch the bottom. Works pretty well.

The only issues I have with my bag has to do with how I drain my grains (picture below), and the edges of the milk crate have created some tiny holes in the bag, but I only get a little bit of grain in the boil. It doesn't really matter because I double filter my beer on the way in to the fermentor.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453141194.366446.jpg

A mash out is to stop conversion to "lock in" the flavor profile prior of the brew to an extended (30 - 60 min) fly sparge. If you are batch sparging or not sparging at all, you really don't need it. It doesn't hurt. It just isn't necessary.

I lost 2 bags and don't mashout. Just going from mash in at 122* to 150*. I have since used one those steamer baskets. Stole it from the wife. Haven't had an issue since.

I never had a single problem in dozens of batches direct heating the BIAB in the kettle when using my heavy tri-clad bottom kettle.

The first time I used a new thin-walled kettle it burned a hole in the bottom of the bag even with me stirring like crazy.

So the kettle makes a big difference.

Back