Burner Suggestoin for a NON Brewer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddarkman619

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I don't brew beer but I do come here to read certain things. I primarily grow edible and gourmet mushrooms and am getting ready to go small scale commercial for farmers markets.

My need is a propane burner which will heat a 55 gallon drum of water to 160 degrees and keep it there for at least 1 hour.

I was looking at the Bayou Classic KAB4, and wanted to hear some input or suggestions.

The reason for the 160 degrees is to pasteurize straw for the oyster mushrooms I am getting ready to grow.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Great forum BTW!!!

:mug:

That's the burner for the job. See some of the threads around here about raising the burner to 2-3 inches below the vessel. It improves the heating efficiency.

Very cool. I can also endorse the KAB4. It is an absolute beast. I only ever have it on 1/4 throttle at any time. I'm pretty sure it's advertised to be able to boil a 50 gallon crab pot. With such a wide pot I doubt you'd have to do any modifications.

awesome, thanks for the confirmations. I'm gonna hang around here for a while. you guys have some great mods...

sddarkman619 said:
awesome, thanks for the confirmations. I'm gonna hang around here for a while. you guys have some great mods...

Not to mention some brilliant members! Some of these guys are literal geniuses. Someone started an account recently to ask about a problem with their well, and it was promptly answered lol.. Not that that requires genius, but it is a very helpful crew, and I am proud to be a part of it. Who knows, maybe you'll make some beer someday ;)

Hey SDMarkman619! I suppose you are living here in San Diego (probably in the 619- I am so Sherlock right now)- where do you want to be selling your fungi? Would love to grab some of your artisan mushies. Also- you should consider taking up homebrewing- no better place in the world to brew right now than SD. But you don't have to take my word for it!

Back