Burner Safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Painter

Reaction score
I have just bought an Edelmetall Burner so that I didn't have to rely on my electric stove. My back porch, just off the kitchen, is covered, but open on two sides and I was planning on using the burner there. The directions warn against using it near wood surfaces, though, so I am a little worried about the wood floor of the porch. Is there enough heat generated by this burner that it could damage the floor below? Would I be better off if I got the leg extensions?

Get the leg extensions or build/buy something to keep it up. You want your kettle up high anyhow to gravity drain and it is way easier on your back if you are moving liquids by hand. I don't know how much they charge for their leg extensions but I can tell you from experience that brewing low is a PITA. When you get them you'll think to yourself "worth every penny."

Another thing you could do would be to put something under the burner - scrap piece of plywood, etc. Most of your heat is going to move up and away from the burner; you will get some radiant heating of the floor, but nothing major.

When I gave my brother-in-law my old kettle smoker, he was concerned about damaging his deck with embers falling out of it, so we took an old washing machine tub they had (think oversized cookie sheet - about 3' square, with a 2-3" high lip all the way around - meant to protect the floor in case the washing machine overflowed) and put the smoker in the middle of that, and then put a half inch of water in the pan.

I've been looking for ideas to raise my burners too. I work out of my garage and need something that doesn't take up a lot of space. I came across this idea which looks simple, sturdy, and collapsible for storage.
free-wooden-footstool-plans.jpg

I've seen pics of peoples decks darkening under where the burner was used, so yeah to be on the safe side get the leg extensions. I use the Blichmann (appears to be the same core unit) and ordered mine with the leg extensions at the same time because of what PscDouglas said about draining into my fermenter.

Rev.

Cinder blocks. Free some places, cheap other places, fire-proof and it'll raise your burner up for gravity draining.
cinderblock01.jpg

That is the obvious solution, but I have a really small garage and need to be able to collapse everything down.

That is the obvious solution, but I have a really small garage and need to be able to collapse everything down.

IMO Cinder Blocks can live outside when not brewing, or stack them in a corner. They really don't take much space, though they aren't exactly light.
However, there are other good ideas - landscape tiles, or cement board.
I like the idea of a grill pad, myself.
However, I don't know about the Edenmetall, but my cheap-o, $40 at Home Depot turkey fryer burner does not cause any issues to the wood. It's got about 8" clearance from the bottom of the burner assembly to the ground, and I've held my hand underneath with no problem. I would thing yours, being a better unit, would be at least as good as far as heat routing.

IMO Cinder Blocks can live outside when not brewing, or stack them in a corner. They really don't take much space, though they aren't exactly light.

Agreed. Cinder Blocks are the way to go. Cheap or free and they don't mind getting tossed around a bit. I use them to raise my burner off the deck and they work great.

Otherwise build a stand and cover with durarock or hardie backer board. Either one will provide the heat resistance you're looking for.

Latest posts

Back