Burner safe metal sheets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyt

Reaction score
What types of metal sheets are safe to use on and around a propane burner? What I want to do will get hot but not be in direct flame but I have to be able to work it by hand, get it at Lowes, and not give off toxic fumes when heated.<br />Will regular galvanized air duct metal work for this?<br/>

I believe the galvanized coating will burn off if it gets hot enough. That would not be good.

I know that heating galvanized metal releases toxic fumes, so that's probably not a very good idea. I don't know if heating it once would be enough to make is safe for future use, or if it takes repeated exposure to become critical, and who knows how bad the fumes are for the environment, so it just sounds like a bad idea.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever That says iron and most simple steels are fine.

I've seen relatively thin sheets of iron/steel (i didn't look at the labels, but they were a little rusty anyway) at ACE and home depot, (so probably Lowes too) and there are high temp rustoleum products that might be useful for keeping it from rusting.

Don't know much about it. Just that fumes from heating galvanized metal are bad for you.

Cheers,

Galvanized would burn off and turn to regular steel. They use regular steel in most turkey burners I've seen.

I'm making one out of stainless right now

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like all the HVAC duct stuff is galvanized. Poop nuggets. Does Lowes/Home Depot sell stainless sheets thin enough to work without a torch?

I used aluminum flashing to create a windscreen that I wrapped around the outer edge of my BG10 & BG14. Holds up pretty well. I found it in the roofing aisle @ Lowe's.

They also have plated steel sheet, I used a piece of 26 gauge to create a heat shield on my channel strut 2 tier brew stand. Keeps the heat from the HLT burner from melting my cooler MT.

No wouldn't be in direct flame. I have the bg16 I think, its the 16" square bayou with the 6" burner. I want to make a skirt around the sides to shield it from wind, so that won't get hot.
But I wanted to add a square piece to the deck with a hole in the center for my 10gal Spike kettle, to keep the heat centered and keep it from heating my thermometer and valve up. I might make a shroud to go around the kettle too to keep the heat from blowing away. So it'll probably get pretty hot, but the only flames that'll touch it would be any that lap up around the sides of the kettle.

I have a Bayou Classic SQ14 which I think is similar. I used a short length of 6" dia. stove piping (the black stuff, not the galvanized) around the burner element. Something like this:

snap-lock-black-steel-stovepipe-male-coupling-for-joining-female-ends-6-inch-diameter-2.gif

That helps block the wind, and I didn't need to wrap anything around the sides of the frame.

I have a similar question about cement board I just want to shield a part of a wooden brewstand will not be in direct flame probably won't even get very hot just insurance. But does anyone know if that emits fumes??

I have a similar question about cement board I just want to shield a part of a wooden brewstand will not be in direct flame probably won't even get very hot just insurance. But does anyone know if that emits fumes??

I would think that cement board doesn't emit fumes, or at least not much, due to its use in building construction. It has a certain degree of fire-resistance, but I don't think it's intended as a refractory material. There's probably an ASTM sheet online somewhere that might give some answers. I've never heated the stuff directly, though I slide a piece of it under my burner when I'm using it on a wooden deck.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396828219.811004.jpg

That's the stand was gonna put cement board on the side by the burner shouldn't get too hot heat should go up not out need to fire it up and check

Not sure what heat wrap stuff is?? That reflectix stuff they use on the kettles or something else? Appreciate the help sorry if I hijacked the thread

Cement board is used as a backer board for bricks, tile and other non-combustible materials as surrounds for fireplaces and wood stoves. It does not give off any fumes when heated.

FWIW, if you are brewing outdoors or in another well ventilated area (as you should be if you are using a propane burner) the small amount of fumes given off by heating a galvanized coating will not reach levels that would be harmful to you. There are other fumes given off by the burner that pose a far greater threat. The concerns with galvanized coatings and heat are more correctly directed at welders and other tradespeople who have to work in close contact with these materials for extended periods. Our exposure as home brewers would be considered incidental and infrequent exposure.

That was quick two replies in a few minutes appreciate it probably go with the backer board it's only about 10 bucks a sheet so cheaper than the wrap

Just because, 2 images, the first is what I have, the second is what I have in my head I want to do.

Kettle1.jpg

Kettle2.jpg

I have an SQ14. One of these days I'll get around to making a wind screen for it's burner, and I intend on modifying a stainless steel dog bowl to do it. They're cheap, stainless, light weight, and I can find them everywhere.

Back