Burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belenus

Reaction score
So I'm new to brewing, and trying to put together the gear I need for BIAB brewing. I've pretty much decided on a 60 qt stainless brewpot http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Commercial-Stainless-Induction-Certified/dp/B003ATSMJY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=A5IV3X0QHVKX&coliid=IJR1RQPT1M4RL that looks like an Update International 3-ply bottomed pot.

For the burner, I'm thinking about the Bayou Classic KAB6 http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-KAB6-Cooker-Guard/dp/B003B7USOM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=A5IV3X0QHVKX&coliid=I3SUV32YNVGR6M My questions are these:
1. Does anyone own one of these? If so, what do you think of it?
2. Is this burner going to be overkill for a 60qt pot that will mainly be doing 5ga BIAB batches?

I don't mind saving up for good equipment, as my equipment list is gonna suck up my disposible income for rest of the year anyway. I just don't want to be wasteful if it's not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 15 gallon pot is a really big pot.

For most 5 gallon batches your preboil volume will usually be about 6.5 gallons. This is less than half of the volume your kettle will hold.
I use a 40 quart (10 gallon) pot and find it to be just right, both for BIAB and all grain batches up to 6+ gallons.

I also find that bags fit just right in the 10 gallon pot.

If you go with a really big pot you have to make sure that the bag you get fits the pot and that your wort chiller will fit properly.

Again nothing wrong with going big but you might have to adjust for bag size and chiller height.

The burner you list is rated at over 200,000 BTU's (not always accurate) and that's also a lot of heat.

Mine is rated at 185,000 (again this is what the maker states) and it is more than enough to get 8 gallons boiling like crazy in a short period of time.

OMO

bosco

The bag and chiller are gonna be made for the pot. I have friends who sew, and another who is a plumber ;-) He's going to get 60' of 1/2" copper at cost for the chiller, and I think we're gonna try to make one of the ribcage designs to contact a larger area throughout the pot. The other reason for the 60qt pot is to be able to brew a 10ga batch every once in a while, or if one of those friends wants their own 5 gallons out of a brew. Hmm, maybe I just want that burner (and pot) for the added flexibiliy to grow going forward... Might have answered my own question.

Just bought the Update International 40qt on Amazon. Fantastic pot, very heavy and will probably last forever

I have the KAB6 great burner, good for small or larg pots. It's 210,000btus on high!!! everyone likes this burner. Good for you buying a real brewing size pot and burner to match. Some new brewers ask if a "5gal pot will work for 5gal batches" I want to slap them in the face and take away their man card.

15 gallon pot is good for 5 gallon batches. I use a keg, 15.5 gallons, and sometimes I have boil overs when I am not paying attention.

Back