Burner Question - KAB4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Springer, I like that, but, alas, I don't weld. Any weldless option that you can think of?

think the easiest way would be to move the burner up in the wind shield closer to the keg. You might need to add some flashing or plate steel to the shield so it operates properly and doesn't get blown out on windy days.Can do that with nuts and bolts .

If you cut the legs yourself and take it to local welder or body shop it can't be all that much coin, took me about 15 minutes from start to finish

Springer,
Have you seen a performance increase since you modified it?

I have nothing to compare to but it brought 12 gallons of 49° water to boil in about 40 minutes . I am going to try it with the 60 qt pot I just got maybe it will do better since the bottom is flat.

I think you guys were looking at the design as the problem greenwood was having. I can tell you that it is not the problem. The original picture that was posted was my burner. It is an animal. Yes a taller wind screen would help, but the burner height is set well. Yes, this is the KAB4. I think greenwood is having an issue with something else other than the burner height.

Yes that is your photo, could you help me out by describing what you call "an animal" ie how long does it take for you to heat your water/wort?
With the tall supports and the keggle skirt/lip the top of the burner to bottom of keggle surface is 5"
I have a sharp blue flame (no yellow or orange) and it takes me 30-35min to heat my full runnings to a boil, even when added in stages: i.e. first runnings go on the burner while the batch sparging round 1, those are added to the kettle on the burner while sparging round 2. When I use a flat bottomed pot (ie 1" closer to the burner) it goes much quicker (shaves 10 min off).

Why would the original or other models have the supports closer to the burner?

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I figured out a solution to this problem a while ago and never got around to posting. I just took an 8' length of 18" aluminum flashing (unpainted) and cut out slots for the regulator and wrapped it around the burner. It focuses the heat on the keggle and provides a great wind-skirt as well. I now can bring 13 gallons to a boil in under 30 minutes and don't have to worry about the wind blowing out my burner.

Back