Burner from Hell! Empirical data!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuchoGusto

Reaction score
I have forgot for how long and how many batches I've brewed. I've gone full circle from extract to all grain and back to extract SMaSH recipes. I did all that with a crappy turkey fryer burner until now. I'm putting this in the newbie section so hopefully you don't waste as much time as I did.

Time to kiss the old burner good bye and get something with some serious heat. After much research it came down to the Bayou Classic KAB4. The very first thing I did was to unscrew the hose from the regulator, install a 1/4" NPT tee and a low pressure gauge. This is an absolute must. Here's why. Blichmann knows that you don't need more than 10 psi to make a 10" banjo burner burn like hell. And on the KAB4 the same thing applies. Here's the data from this afternoon.

Outside temp 60 degrees. Water temp 52 degrees. Nice blue flame adjusted until it just wants to separate from the burner. 20 buck digital bathroom weight scale from Wally World to weigh propane tank.

10psi - 5 gallons to boil - 16:35 minutes using .99lbs propane (3.6lb/hour).

20psi - 5 gallons to boil - 14:45 minutes using 1.77lbs propane (7.2lb/hour).

It makes no sense to run at 20psi burning 77% more propane for a gain in time to boil of only 11% or less.

You'll burn some more propane than even using a 10 psi turkey burner, but you'll be finished sooner by far. It would take 45 plus minutes to bring 5 gallons to boil on my old crappy burner.

I'll do a 6.5 gallon boil tomorrow to compare to the Blichmann claims on their burner, but this KAB4 is going to be very close to their performance.

Amazon... 85 bucks and some change. Best money ever spent on brew equipment hands down! To add a pressure gauge will run you less than 20.

One last thing.... no doubt the Blichmann is top quality and better construction. No doubt about it.... but you can get great performance out of a KAB4.... each to their own.

Very nice! So you just add the pressure gauge in order to know that you are running at 10 psi, correct? Couldn't you just keep the dial turned down without spending extra money on a gauge? I have a dark star burner right now and I have been looking at upgrading to a banjo style burner.

Nice!. I am actually getting ready to pick this burner up in the near future when I build my 2 tier stand. I wasnt really on board with getting a 30psi regulator that it "recommends"

The pressure gauge will pay for itself in no time. The regulator has quite a few turns to it so dialing in 10psi is much easier with a gauge. Anything over that and you wasting btu's. They recommend a pot with at least a 14" diameter and I will agree because for one a larger bottom is needed to capture the heat.

It is actually cheaper to buy the KAB4 than purchase a burner, hose, orifice (looks like about a #55) and regulator separately if you want to built something custom. Just take the burner out and toss the stand aside.

I would really like to know the orifice size used in the Blichmann if anyone knows.

The pressure gauge will pay for itself in no time. The regulator has quite a few turns to it so dialing in 10psi is much easier with a gauge. Anything over that and you wasting btu's. They recommend a pot with at least a 14" diameter and I will agree because for one a larger bottom is needed to capture the heat.

It is actually cheaper to buy the KAB4 than purchase a burner, hose, orifice (looks like about a #55) and regulator separately if you want to built something custom. Just take the burner out and toss the stand aside.

I would really like to know the orifice size used in the Blichmann if anyone knows.

Where did you find the gauge? Do you put it pre or post regulator?

It would have to be post regulator if you're using it to adjust the pressure to the burner.

Nearly all of the affordable LP gauges I've found are simply volume gauges immediately after the tank. Do you have a link to the gauge you have used in your setup?

Back