burner and kettle Q...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, that setup will get the job done. one thing that I would note, it is only 45,000 btu's.
You can get one online (amazon) for around $40 for just the burner. It is around 150,000 btu's called the sp10 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

or there are some others that are a bit more expensive that are really nice. Get at least a 30 qt pot and you are good to go. you can get a 30 qt at a restaurant supply shop or online.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one I currently use. Two things to keep in mind...

1) It's a little underpowered, especially for larger/longer boils

2) There is a safety mechanism that becomes a huge problem if you move into a larger pot or keggle that doesn't fit into the recess of the burner. Bypassing it is fairly simple, but not at all safe

If I had to do it over again, I would get the Bayou burner mentioned by Phatuna

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've read a bunch of threads on the topic... I'm using an aluminum pot right now. I'm not sure I personally buy into the anti aluminum opinion and the price is right. :) Thanks for the input phatuna!

Aluminum is fine to use as long as it doesn't get scratched. From experience though, cheap pots ruin beer.A thin wall/bottom can caramelize beer in mere minutes due to heat. If you plan to brew for a while put a few extra dollars in your first pot.

John Palmer does an in-depth discussion of brewing metallurgy on one of the Brew Strong podcasts. It's certainly worth looking up...

Secondly, caramelization doesn't actually occur in brewing. That is a process that involves two sugar molecules that bond together under low moisture conditions. The process that is normally cited as caramelization is actually a malliard reaction know as melanoidin formation. Although not appropriate in all styles, this is a flavor characteristic that is quite desirable in a number of beers.

John Palmer does an in-depth discussion of brewing metallurgy on one of the Brew Strong podcasts. It's certainly worth looking up...

Secondly, caramelization doesn't actually occur in brewing. That is a process that involves two sugar molecules that bond together under low moisture conditions. The process that is normally cited as caramelization is actually a malliard reaction know as melanoidin formation. Although not appropriate in all styles, this is a flavor characteristic that is quite desirable in a number of beers.

What I meant by caramelization is in the color, and just a general reference as not to overwhelm a beginner. But you are right on the technical part. You can however scorch your wort in a cheap pot.

Firefighter - Thanks for the heads up on the Brew Strong podcasts. I'll be giving those a listen for sure. I've been burning through the Basic Brewing podcasts lately. It will be good to have some contrast from another source.

Thanks guys, I am gonna grab a bigger burner so I can throw the extra heat at it.

Appreciate all the info.

Back