Burned out on my homebrew - reciple suggestions please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
Until now I have always been a dark beer fan, so for the past year we have been mainly brewing darker beers. For some reason, the past few batches have tasted bad to me, to the point that I am not drinking them. I think it's just me, as other people are drinking the beers and enjoying, but to me everything from my last few black ales, stouts, and even the nut brown on tap all have this metallic-bitter taste/smell to them. In my opinion they all taste pretty much the same and the smell really puts me off.

I have pretty much decided my taste must have changed and that the problem lies with me not the beer since others seem to enjoy the brews. I discovered holy grail ale at the pub the other week and strangely enough I really enjoyed the flavor.

Can anyone recommend some styles/recipes I might look into to brew some lighter, yet full body - heavy malty - type ales? I am not at all interested in cloning bud light or any of that other "light" stuff, as I still want the beer to have lots of flavor but I just feel I need to step away from the darks for a while.

I usually order my kits from AHBS, but I have not tried enough non dark brews to even know commercially what I like so that I can attempt to clone. I am open to all suggestions.

Go with a nice American Blond. There are tons of recipes out there.

Look into the AHS series of Winter Warmers. A big malt body with enough hops to make it interesting. Their Scottish Export Ale would also fit this bill.

Another thought would be to look into their Just Beer series. Malt Extract, Cara-Pils, 2-row and a single hop variety. This would be able to increase your knowledge of the different flavors each hop adds. This will help you out down the road when you start formulating your own recipes.

Taste buds do get burned out.

Iam at the same place, and I hate to say it, but a steady break from hop bitterness and dark roastyness are just what the Dr ordered, so that in a few months, you will be able to enjoy those far superior brews anew.

Clone coors.;)

Caramel Amber is one of my old favorites that I have gotten a little burnt of, not roasty, but just 2 lbs or so of crystal 40 and little hop bitterness makes for a crowd pleaser.

Good Luck.

Love biere de garde. Moderately high alcohol and malt forward. The alcohol makes it warming in the cold weather, but the dryness makes it very drinkable and enjoyable in the summer. The definition is somewhat flexible so it can be light to somewhat dark.

I would look into Belgian ales or some of the English styles if you want a more malt-focused beer. Maybe pick up a few commercial examples to see if you like them before you brew 5 or 10 gallons. Or you could do a nice IPA/IIPA if you want a completely different flavor profile.

What's your water like though? It's possible that your off-flavors are coming from your water and not from the style. Did you change your brewing water at all recently? Are you doing all-grain or extract? If all-grain are you checking your mash PH to see if it's appropriate? I'm not an expert on water at all, but I do know that metallic off flavors are generally traced back to the water or equipment. Maybe some of the more experienced members can chime in on that.

Maybe you should pick up a bottle or two of a commercial stout. If you're truly burned out on the style, I would expect that the same issues you're having with your homebrew would carry over to the commercial beers. If not, it's probably your brew and not the style.

I'm going the other way. Been brewing ordinary bitter almost exclusively and now looking to brew more of some darker beers. Gotta shake things up once in a while I guess.

Sounds like you need to schedule a trip to a local beer store where you can "mix-n-match" a few six packs worth of different styles of beer. I've been brewing a lot of pales and IPAs lately, and have started to only drink one or two before the hops is all I taste. I am going to make a switch this year and start brewing more belgian ales...gonna start with a Chimay Premiere (red) clone. I'd suggest trying to find a sample of this beer, you won't be disappointed!

My father-in-law/brewing partner made a really good fat tire clone...we drank 8-9 glasses each on our Jan. 1 brew day....it is really malty....mmmm....might have to have one for lunch....

Good advice in this thread, enough to get me started looking around. I haven't changed anything with my brew-water. I though a while back might be the enameled iron brew pot, as I had read that micro-cracks can happen in the enamel and cause off flavors. I replaced it with a standard aluminum pot, following the directions to build up an oxidation layer. I am now looking for a stainless pot to see if that makes any difference. It's hard to explain, but to me - all the beers even smell the same. I have a double chocolate stout that has been sitting in the carboy ready to bottle. I have not be excited about bottling because I assume it's going to be the same. If anyone is local to me I will gladly offer samples if you can help me figure out if its me or the beer.

Speaking of fat tire clones, I found one last week from an April batch. I had it Saturday night, very tasty although I thought I still detected a very very slight hint of whatever the flavor is I am not enjoying these days. I still enjoyed it though.

What is the difference in the various shilling scottish ales? 60/70/80? I noticed they use chocolate malts and black roasted barely, would they possibly have the same dark beer flavor?

I really need to look into Belgian. When I think Belgian, I think bluemoon which I really like - but there has to be more to this style than oranges and coriander. I've never had chimay, I've picked it up many times and then talked myself out of spending the cash. I guess I should give it a try :)

Try this website: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

I think you already have a hunch to what the problem is on your beer. I was thinking of this.

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

Buy yourself a SS Pot and a water filter or buy some water. If you do extract or PMs try using wal-mart brand spring water to top off with after the boil.

By the way, try switching to another style for awhile. It seems like good advice.

Are you serving your beers colder than usual? I have a Porter on tap right now and when I first pour it, it tastes metallic to me too. Last night I noticed that as the beer warmed up the metallic taste went away. No idea if this has any scientific value to it or if it's just me. Maybe it's worth a shot?

FYI - Blue Moon has roots in the Belgian Wit style, except for a major difference - The yeast. Blue Moon uses a clean ale yeast, where the Belgian Wit beers use a Belgian Wit yeast. Blue Moon is a much cleaner taste than the real wits. I'd only call it Belgian if it used the real yeast. The flavor is noticeably different.

And as far as Belgian beers in general, I think they have the widest variety of beer in the world. There is no one style that defines them. Often they have a "funkiness" to them or tart/sour flavor, but not all.

I'd double check the cleaning of lines and whatnot. Not everyone is going to notice or say if they taste anything out of the ordinary. I got burned out on IPAs for a bit and brewed a stout or two and enjoyed them. Still do but then brewed up an IPA again and kind of enjoy that again. I always enjoy having a Wit on hand, either Blue Moon style, or Celis Style. I like both.

I saw a post earlier where someone mentioned a thai white beer. Belgian with lemongrass and ginger, that really sparked my interest!

I will double check lines and such, but I've noticed it both in bottled and kegged beers so that's more than likely not the cause. It never hurts to do some extra cleaning.

I am suprised nobody has mentioned this:

Are you certain of your fermentation temperatures? The biggest improvement to my beer is when I got a handle on the ferm temps. A GOOD handle that is. What your tongue thinks is 'metallic', may not be actually that. Nothing against your tongue, but this is a common issue. There was a thead awhile ago that had some comments by an NHC judge who says many brewers cannot actually describe what they are tasting because their palates are not trained to recognize off flavors.

Just a thought, did not see you mention your ferm temps yet - sorry if I missed the comment.

Jjones, you may have a point there about temps! I am not sure the taste is metallic, it's just the closest thing I can come up with to describe it. I don't take an special measures to control my fermentation temp as it is done in a spare bed room in the house.

We have a programmable thermostat in the house, so in the winter the house stays at 68 when occupied and allowed to drop to 64 when no ones home.

In the summer it stays at 71 and allowed to rise to 75 when unoccupied.

Is this enough of a swing to affect taste?

In the summer it stays at 71 and allowed to rise to 75 when unoccupied.

Is this enough of a swing to affect taste?

actually yes. from what I understand during active fermentation the temp inside the fermenting vessel can be as much as 10deg. higher than the ambient temp

You could get lost in the Belgian beer world for a long time....:tank:
^this is a great point! if you're bored on homebrew i was going to suggest a berliner weisse.

wiki: "Famously referred to by Napoleon's soldiers as the "Champagne of the North," Berliner Weisse is a sour, wheat-based, effervescent, low-alcohol beer traditionally brewed and drunk in Berlin, Germany. Berliner Weisse gets its trademark sourness from lactobacillus."

Berliner Weisse Shortcuts
While the traditional method gives the best results, there are other ways to add a sour or lactic character to the beer, while still performing a more traditional boil. These include:
Performing an ordinary boil, but pitching a significant amount of lactic acid culture
Performing a sour mash and adding the soured mash to the boil once the desired level of sourness is reached
Adding acidulated malt (sauermalz) to the mash
Adding lactic acid to the finished beer before bottling to sour

17A. Berliner Weisse Vital Statistics
BJCP Style Guideline Definition (2004)
IBUs: 3-8 SRM: 2-3 OG: 1.028-1.032 FG: 1.004-1.006 ABV: 2.8-3.

actually yes. from what I understand during active fermentation the temp inside the fermenting vessel can be as much as 10deg. higher than the ambient temp

Bingo! At least I am 95% certain we have a winner: Try doing a swamp cooler when you ferment your next batch. Make a proven recipe of a typical style you love. Nothing new, but something to compare to. I recommend you try the swamp cooler, even in this season. I know I know... its ghetto and all, but it really REALLY works. Trust me. Just make sure your pitching temp is pretty close to what you are looking for. It may take some fiddling to make it work for your situation though. The next step is temp control fridge, but I cannot afford that though maybe you can.

Swamp cooler, or just a 'storage tote' full of cold water, and maybe some frozen 2 litres of water twice a day (depending on the season), made my ales go from people telling me:
"wow this is not bad homebrew, I couldn't drink much in one sitting mind you, but not bad" This is a nice way to say its half decent, but hard to swallow given the assy off flavors.

To now:
"Wow, you should sell your beer. This is better than any ale I have ever had"

Temp control = win.

I have never thought of that! I already use a storage tote just to protect the hardwoods in case of an accident. There is no reason that I could not fill with water around the carboy. I image that adding a frozen bottle from time to time also causes temperature fluctuations, so just to make sure I understand it's not so much the fluctuation that is important as it is keeping the beer under 70 degrees or so?

Try to keep the beer around 65 actually, depending on your yeast. The ice does not cause much fluctuation IMO - the volume of a beer carboy is large enough, and the yeast generate enough movement/churning during initial ferment you are pretty safe. What I do is if the water in my swamp cooler is between 50-55F, and my pitch temp is 65 or lower, I consider it safe. Since the yeast generates some heat, for me my water temp is preferred at 10-15F less than your target ferment temp. Your main concerns are in the first 3 or 4 days during primary fermentation as that is when your ester production happens (mostly). So as long as the temperature of the wort during this time is 65F ish (depending on the strain) you will be MUCH happier with your beer. Note that after primary ferment, you can stop worrying about the ferment temps. Actually, you may benefit from the temp going back to ambient for the remainder of the time your beer sits on the trub (depending on the strain).

What yeast do you use? If dry - notty, I like to ferment at 60F or less. If US-05 around 62-65F max. If liquid, each strain has its range - try to keep it in the low end of the range for the particular strain you are using.

Back