Bunnies and Bees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
Questions for hop growers:

1) should I be concerned with rabbits eating the new shoots that come up from the rizome?

2) are the female flower cones any benefit to bees? I have my own bees and was just curious if they can get nectar from the cones.

Thanks!

1) I haven't had any damage from any herbivore.
2) I doubt it. I never seen any bees near the hops and I have four or five types around.

My bees have no interest in the hops at all, but they will buzz around the wort.

There's a bee Keeper in Michigan near where my GF raises her LLamas, she finally saw him tending his bees and stopped to talk to him, (and made a connection for honey for future meads!) He has hops growing around the perimiter of his bee boxes....His bees evidently love the pollen....

She's hoping to run into him in the fields again come spring, so she can ask him if he harvests the hops or lets them go fallow.....

A hop mead? That sounds both intriuging and disgusting. I'd be willing to try a batch of it though. It can't be any worse than meat and beer, that's for sure. Or meat and cider.

Back