Bummed out about Austin Homebrew's practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demaskee

Reaction score
I ordered a bunch of stuff to make a beer from AHB earlier this week. Today I received two emails simultaneously. The first stating they have shipped my stuff, and a second saying they were out of stock on one item and will be sending it out at a later date.

The problem is the item that was out of stock is critical to the recipe. They can't get the out of stock product to me in time for the brew day and since they rest of the order alrerady shipped, it's too late to cancel it.

Now I have to either delay the brew day, (not going to happen as I have friends coming from out of town wanting to learn), or order the stuff from another company and pay twice the amount of shipping than I would have had to pay otherwise.

The whole way of going about this seems a little shady to me. They could have easily given me a courtesy heads up prior to shipping.

Dang, I totally understand your disappointment. It sucks when you need just one more thing. Hopefully you can give them a call and get it worked out so that you can make your order elsewhere or find a way to get one last item. I know there were several times when an item was out of stock, but it was something I didn't need right away and I was glad to have the available items sooner. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

Do you live near a homebrew shop? Or maybe your friends can grab this thing from a shop near them and bring it with when they visit?

Yeah, I ended up eatin the shipping and buying the missing ingredient through a competetor. My nearest HBS is about an hour away so I go back and forth with my purchases, either deciding to with pay for shipping online or locally with time and gas.

You should make them aware of the situation. They have been great to me. I had two vials of white labs show up way late and also frozen(though that wasn't their fault). They replaced the yeast and gave me free shipping on my next order. I placed my next order and forgot oak. They then shipped it as well with free shipping.

This is why I'm glad to have a local shop (actually 2, but one is most likely closing down their homebrew supplies)! Having More Beer as my LHBS is a blessing... Having it 8 miles from home is a godsend.... Driving by it on my way home is HEAVENLY!

Yeah, I called them to find out how soon it would be back in stock and then to get the missing ingredient taken off the bill once I knew it wouldn't make it in time for my brew day. They took care of that and said they were sorry, but overall appeared indifferent over the whole situation. It's a bummer too; the reputation I'd read about here and their lower flat rate shipping cost had me thinking they were going to be my go-to online source.

I didn't pick up that you were in the Central Coast... Did you look at More Beer? They are in Carmichael, which means you should get it the day after it ships without paying more for it.

This is why I'm glad to have a local shop (actually 2, but one is most likely closing down their homebrew supplies)! Having More Beer as my LHBS is a blessing... Having it 8 miles from home is a godsend.... Driving by it on my way home is HEAVENLY!

You're soooooo lucky to have a good local shop. We had a shop in my town for a while, it was pretty ****ty but you could get basics in a pinch. It has since shut down.

I've heard of them but haven't checked them out. I'll have to take a close look at them. I grew up right near Carmichael. The only bummer is you have to pay sales tax if you're in California buying in state (how sad is that, you get punished by trying to stay local). Unless they don't charge sales tax?

I like them but I have had a few times when they did the replace something they were out of. One hop substitution was on no substitution list but theirs. If they would have sent me an e-mail like OP I could have picked it up locally. I was at 2 different LHBS between the time they shipped and when I received. Other than that they have been good.

Seems AHS is going the same way of Brewmasters Warehouse.....

Owner runs a successful homebrew store but then starts a microbrewery and the homebrew store business goes downhill...

Oh well. Once AHS got rid of free flat rate shipping and quit selling bulk grain via mail order, the writing on the wall was there for me.

Good luck to them.

I had a similar story with another popular online Home brew shop, I had been ordering from them often, on a large grain order, one of the bags had a hole and the grain spilled out into the box and then onto the floor, when I emailed them (no phone number listed on the website), I expressed my disappointment, letting them know that this put a monkey wrench in my scheduled brew, they replaced it fairly fast, I was happy with the service.
A few months passed, I had placed several more orders with them without any issues, then a few buddies decided that they wanted to learn to brew, I placed an order and based on the scheduled delivery date, we set a day to brew. When I received the order, the yeast was already swollen(smart pack) and hot, the ice pack didn't do its job, although the yeast was more than likely fine, I paid for merchandise in good condition, not in any condition they felt like shipping, I emailed them again and the owner replied that he could no longer continue to ship me free product?! WTF, I only ever emailed them twice and I never asked them to replace anything, I always asked "how do you want to take care of this", further more, I paid for the damn items!
We went back and forth a few times until he basically told me to shop somewhere else, that he would refund me but to shop elsewhere?! I told him to keep his damn money, he obviously needed it more than me.
I told this nut job that I would let the online community know about this, he replied that he would make sure that he would make me look like an ass on any forum.....
This guy is an ass clown, but since I don't feel like getting into an online pissing match, I won't name the company.

Yeah, I called them to find out how soon it would be back in stock and then to get the missing ingredient taken off the bill once I knew it wouldn't make it in time for my brew day. They took care of that and said they were sorry, but overall appeared indifferent over the whole situation. It's a bummer too; the reputation I'd read about here and their lower flat rate shipping cost had me thinking they were going to be my go-to online source.

Pick somewhere closer to you. That's a big carbon footprint to ship all the way from Austin to California. Besides, you get your stuff faster if the shop is close.

Similar issue here. Ordered a Belgian White extract from them last weekend. I received an email yesterday that they are out of wheat DME. So much for brewing this Saturday....

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

The core issue with all of these posts seems to be that people are ordering on the Monday/Tuesday for a weekend brewday. Most online brew-shops are able to turn around orders in that time-frame, but they don't guarantee of it. So there you are: You really, really need it/want it? Buy local and walk out the door with it. You don't want to miss a brew day? Order earlier. Simple stuff. Be prepared.

In no other situation would I expect a custom order to be processed, shipped and on my doorstep within a week. I'm not sure why we expect the online guys to do this. This isn't an Amazon pick-n-ship factory.

Agreed. Having a LHBS is very nice, I also have a couple places. One with a somewhat limited selection but the "staples" of brewing, and another that's got just about everything.

The core issue with all of these posts seems to be that people are ordering on the Monday/Tuesday for a weekend brewday. Most online brew-shops are able to turn around orders in that time-frame, but they don't guarantee of it. So there you are: You really, really need it/want it? Buy local and walk out the door with it. You don't want to miss a brew day? Order earlier. Simple stuff. Be prepared.

In no other situation would I expect a custom order to be processed, shipped and on my doorstep within a week. I'm not sure why we expect the online guys to do this. This isn't an Amazon pick-n-ship factory.

My brew day is 8 feb. I ordered it on the 27th, 2 weeks out. They still can't get the product to me in that time.

These guys are brewers, they understand what it takes to make beer and can clearly see by what I ordered that this is a critical component to the recipe. All I'm asking for is a heads up if you know this can't be fulfilled in its entirety prior to shipping it out. This way I have a couple of options that don't end up costing me 20% more to brew thisbatch of beer.

A little easier said that done. Texas is slightly different than Maine as far as I know. Not all of us live near a big city and can walk into a brew store without driving 2 or 3 hours.

You don't have a dog in this hunt so stay out of it.:)

I've heard of them but haven't checked them out. I'll have to take a close look at them. I grew up right near Carmichael. The only bummer is you have to pay sales tax if you're in California buying in state (how sad is that, you get punished by trying to stay local). Unless they don't charge sales tax?
I would not avoid morebeer because of tax. If we really want to start a debate, tax that isn't charged to your online purchases should be accounted for when you file your returns. ;) Just sayin' and playing the ahole for a moment.
BUT
in absolute fairness, what is the price of the item at morebeer + tax and shipping (standard since they're close) versus the item you bought from whomever you went to instead?

As far as AHB, I've never ordered from them but if I ordered on the 27th and they shipped everything then said something was out of stock (or did it at the same time preventing me from being able to cancel) then I would have said that was crappy but not shady. It is only 3 days later, which could be less depending upon what time on the 27th you ordered. Did you really need to up the shipping speed with a 3 day lag? Just curious.

I just ordered something from Grain to Glass and I don't believe I've received shipping confirmation, my order was 1/26. In my eyes, that's not outlandish, but this is the first grain over I've ever done online.

My brew day is 8 feb. I ordered it on the 27th, 2 weeks out. They still can't get the product to me in that time.

These guys are brewers, they understand what it takes to make beer and can clearly see by what I ordered that this is a critical component to the recipe. All I'm asking for is a heads up if you know this can't be fulfilled in its entirety prior to shipping it out. This way I have a couple of options that don't end up costing me 20% more to brew thisbatch of beer.
Was it worth the 2 hour round trip drive to just go get it yourself? But I agree, prior to shipping, it would be nice to know. Why can't they update their website? Is that something you never see?

Super unfair to think every brewer lives nearby a HBS. I don't consider giving 2 weeks for an order to arrive to be extraordinary.

AHS did this to me a long time ago almost to a T.So i think you are being a little off with blaming the OP.My order was 3 1/2 weeks out from brew day and was showing a processed shipment for four days which was a little odd.Called AHB and they informed me my order was being held for lyles golden syrup but it was not coming in for a two to four weeks...Thanks for the heads up guys.I nicely explained to them you cannot leave a customer hanging on like that and got a apology and a coupon code but that was my last extract batch.If you have a back order it is their responsibilty to tell the customer.

They would still be out of the critical component whether they shipped the order or not, I don't understand how their policy somehow screwed you over. At the end of the day, what you are basically upset over is that AHS was out of stock on something.

I see it as AHS is actually doing you a favor shipping what they could to you. That way you could still have most of the stuff you needed to brew; you would just have to figure out what to do to procure this mysterious "critical component". Are you seriously saying you have NO other way to get this component in time for your brew day?

This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

I think regardless of which online vendor you use, it is probably a good idea to start a small inventory of ingredients that you replenish with your orders. There are plenty of potential delays that are both in and out of the online vendors control (for example, good luck getting a shipment on time in Atlanta right now). But if you have stock on hand then a shipping delay won't ruin your brew day.

If space is an issue, most of the dry ingredients can be stored inside your fermenter and/or bottling bucket, enough for several batches. If it is not a huge issue you have the opportunity to purchase in bulk and save even more.

A little easier said that done. Texas is slightly different than Maine as far as I know. Not all of us live near a big city and can walk into a brew store without driving 2 or 3 hours.

You don't have a dog in this hunt so stay out of it.:)

OP lives in SoCal son, what does Texas has to do with anything? Sounds like you don't have a dog in this hunt either....

And you are right Texas ain't Maine....thank god...

I expect when ordering from an online company that if they allow you to put an item in the cart and proceed to checkout that they have the item 'in stock'. Not to get an email 3 days later, stating they are out of stock.

I completely agree about buying local. I just found out that our first 'true' home brew store is opening this coming Saturday here in Mount Pleasant, SC. I will be one of the first ones there.

AHS did this to me a long time ago almost to a T.So i think you are being a little off with blaming the OP.My order was 3 1/2 weeks out from brew day and was showing a processed shipment for four days which was a little odd.Called AHB and they informed me my order was being held for lyles golden syrup but it was not coming in for a two to four weeks...Thanks for the heads up guys.I nicely explained to them you cannot leave a customer hanging on like that and got a apology and a coupon code but that was my last extract batch.If you have a back order it is their responsibilty to tell the customer.

Actually, you should read the OP's post, as it is JUST THE OPPOSITE of what happened to you. AHS HELD your order for an out-of-stock item, but shipped the OP's order WITHOUT the out-of-stock item....and you are both bitching and moaning about it. They can't win.

Out-of-stocks happen. What more do you want them to do about it?

I expect when ordering from an online company that if they allow you to put an item in the cart and proceed to checkout that they have the item 'in stock'. Not to get an email 3 days later, stating they are out of stock.

I completely agree about buying local. I just found out that our first 'true' home brew store is opening this coming Saturday here in Mount Pleasant, SC. I will be one of the first ones there.

I think this is fair; for some reason none of the on-line homebrew shops have this feature or do a good job keeping it updated. This issue just isn't AHS.

I hate to see this with AHS. I have always liked them. A little behind the curve as far as BIAB goes but always good in the past .. both service and price. I really like that they will build a recipe for you so that you don't need to buy a 2 year supply of something like Special B. I hope they turn it around but we're going on several months of folks here having a struggle with them. That doesn't bode well.

If the supplier is out of some item, they should let you know before shipping anything. Then you would have options: 1) Get it shipped as-is, and get missing items elsewhere, 2) Substitute something else for the missing item (like another variety of hops, etc.), or 3) Cancel the order and get it elsewhere. Option #3 is something they don't want, but it should still be an option. I not only think this is a reasonable thing to ask, but I feel that anything less is bad business.

You're soooooo lucky to have a good local shop. We had a shop in my town for a while, it was pretty ****ty but you could get basics in a pinch. It has since shut down.

One of the few times that I'm lucky to live on the edge of a desert! Our second HBS was really just an added area to a hydroponics store. There isn't enough sales to keep them interested in doing it and having More Beer so close means it was difficult for them to get a foothold. :rockin:

Just like food products from the grocery store, grains, yeast etc should not be taxes. At least I don't get taxed on those. If I buy equipment (carboys, hoses, etc) then I pay the 8% for this area.

More Beer does a decent job of telling you if something is out of stock. I just logged in a searched for a hop that I know is in limited supplies.

Here is what it shows.

Availability: California - In Stock
Pennsylvania - Out Of Stock

http://morebeer.com/products/amarillo-hops-2-oz.html

At least they are saying it is OOS in PA (sorry guys on the other coast). I think that that may give them a lead on being proactive about their stock.

Actually, you should read the OP's post, as it is JUST THE OPPOSITE of what happened to you. AHS HELD your order for an out-of-stock item, but shipped the OP's order WITHOUT the out-of-stock item....and you are both bitching and moaning about it. They can't win.

Out-of-stocks happen. What more do you want them to do about it?

The situation is they failed at shipping and customer service same as my order.Out of stock does happen but when it happens at my place of business I inform the customer within the first 24 hours of the order.All they had to do is make a little phone call or shoot out an email in regards to the order.

They would still be out of the critical component whether they shipped the order or not, I don't understand how their policy somehow screwed you over. At the end of the day, what you are basically upset over is that AHS was out of stock on something.

I see it as AHS is actually doing you a favor shipping what they could to you. That way you could still have most of the stuff you needed to brew; you would just have to figure out what to do to procure this mysterious "critical component". Are you seriously saying you have NO other way to get this component in time for your brew day?

This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

What I'm saying is that to make my brew day I have to find another retailer who has it in stock and pay for the cost of two shipments instead of one.

Had AHS given me the heads up before shipping, I could have cancelled the order and gone to another vendor who could fill the order in its entirety which would save me from having to pay shipping twice.

My daughter and I always compare notes before placing an internet (or long distance) order. It amortizes shipping cost to combine hers with mine or vice versa. We talked about maybe an AHS order and agreed (based on what we have read here) that any order to AHS should be phoned in so that stock on any item can be checked before the order is finalized. I agree with the post above that commends More Beer for being able to gauge availability in real time over the web.

More Beer does a decent job of telling you if something is out of stock. I just logged in a searched for a hop that I know is in limited supplies.

Here is what it shows.

Availability: California - In Stock
Pennsylvania - Out Of Stock

http://morebeer.com/products/amarillo-hops-2-oz.html

At least they are saying it is OOS in PA (sorry guys on the other coast). I think that that may give them a lead on being proactive about their stock.

I love morebeer as well I go to the concord place

Also made my step son get a job there he starts tomorrow

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

he could share the employee discount with 177,000 of his closest friends :)

Haha I know I work at Pandora as an engineer and there are about 20 guys who all new beer and everyone of them was rooting for him to get the job

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back