bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's really not that bad if you order from austin homebrew supply. just make it over $100 and you get free shipping

Are sacks of grain priced on Austin HS's website, or must I call them?

it's really not that bad if you order from austin homebrew supply. just make it over $100 and you get free shipping

Really not the cheapest or best way, though. AHS is $60+ for 50 lbs of 2-row. I just did a bulk buy where 25 KG (55.115 lbs) cost ~$28 shipped. Two sacks from AHS to reach 100# free shipping at a cost of $120 or two sacks (>110#) from the bulk buy @ $56. Really doesn't sound like "free shipping".

OP: I'd start by seeking home brew clubs in your area. Sometimes a club will put together a bulk buy and you can piggy back on that.

You could always call the country malt group to see if you'd qualify to order in bulk with others. The first one I put on, I advertised on Craig's list and got enough to fill a skid. If they let you, I'd bet you could put one together on here. I've done several, including one with 100 sacks of grain we're currently finishing. In the buy, there were both whole sacks of base grains and many specialty grains at bulk pricing. If you have any questions, let me know.:mug:

they're priced on the website, it would be cheaper if you did a group order but i wasn't sure how much you're looking to buy or if you know some people to make a purchase with you

OP: I'd start by seeking home brew clubs in your area. Sometimes a club will put together a bulk buy and you can piggy back on that.

No clubs that I know of...I am trying to justify buying a mill with some Birthday money. With the online prices it will take a loooooong time to save money verses ordering a batch or two at a time pre crushed.

fiftypoundsack.com is probably your cheapest route getting it shipped bulk if you can't get on a bulk group order. Sometimes local breweries/brewpubs will sell bags to you cheap.

mid missouri malt supply. around $31/sack. You pick it up in St. Louis (fenton) and they he places several pallet orders about once a month. Very nice guy to work with. I have been buying grain for about 2 years and not once have i had any problems. Hope this helps!!!

No clubs that I know of...I am trying to justify buying a mill with some Birthday money. With the online prices it will take a loooooong time to save money verses ordering a batch or two at a time pre crushed.

You can do better, but I buy a lot from Rebel Brewer. 89 cents/lb for 2-row. I often get other stuff from them, which is usually cheaper than from other sites, and then add grain until I reach the max limit for ground shipping (around 65 lbs). Shipping works out around 30 cents/lb, making the 2-row about $1.20/lb.

I like it because I can get other stuff at a reasonable price, like yeast, fermcap, sanitizer, stoppers, etc.

good luck.

mid missouri malt supply. around $31/sack. You pick it up in St. Louis (fenton) and they he places several pallet orders about once a month. Very nice guy to work with. I have been buying grain for about 2 years and not once have i had any problems. Hope this helps!!!

I go thru Columbia quite often, you wouldn't be making an order that I could piggyback on anytime soon are you??

Not anytime soon that I know of. I made a trip about a month ago and picked up 200lbs. I order a lot so I try to make only one trip a year to save on gas.

Is there anyone north of I-70 on here that gets thier supplies at Mid Missouri Malt Supply that I could help out with gas money in return for picking up a few extras??

Latest posts

Back