Bulk base grain suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cargill, Inc., is an American privately held, multinational corporation based in Minnetonka, Minnesota, a Minneapolis suburb. Founded in 1865, it is now the largest privately held corporation in the United States in terms of revenue. If it were a public company, it would rank, as of 2013, number 9 on the Fortune 500, behind Valero Energy and ahead of Ford Motor Company.

I am pretty much using exclusively Cargill malts at the brewery.

Their base 2 row, Special Pale Ale and Euro-Pils are amazing. Euro-Pils is a single Variety barley that produces an extremely clean beer. They own and distribute Warminster Floor Malted Maris Otter. That is the company that owns the name Maris Otter and licenses the right to use it to others.

They also have a line of German grown and malted grains and distribute Dingemans Belgian line up.

VERY GOOD malt at a very good price

VERY GOOD malt at a very good price

Thanks for the info. So if you had a choice between Briess and Cargill at the same price would you pick one over the other or would they be pretty much identical?

Do you guys really think there is any reason to worry about whether or not the bucket used for grain storage is food grade? Since there will be no moisture/heat involved, I am thinking an orange home depot bucket will be fine. I would have gotten a white one that I believe is food grade, but they were all sold out. I did pick up two gamma lids.

If your in St. Louis you can go to Momalt.com. Kent runs a small store but he does a group buy rotating different maltsters each month. It's about $45 for sack of Briess 2 row and he has a bunch of other options too. You pick it up your order in Fenton, it's worked great for me.

Do you guys really think there is any reason to worry about whether or not the bucket used for grain storage is food grade? Since there will be no moisture/heat involved, I am thinking an orange home depot bucket will be fine. I would have gotten a white one that I believe is food grade, but they were all sold out. I did pick up two gamma lids.

Short term I doubt it would make a big difference, but I would not want to keep my grain in a "homer" bucket for long term storage. At Lowes a food grade 5 gallon bucket is $4.48 vs $2.98 for a non-food grade bucket. Personally, I'll happily pay $1.50 for peace of mind. I've got 6 filled with grain right now.

Also, you can get cheap food grade lids at Lowes, too. If you go that route buy a $2-3 bucket wrench to open them up. Well worth the meager investment, as those lids would be a beast to get off just using your hands.

If your in St. Louis you can go to Momalt.com. Kent runs a small store but he does a group buy rotating different maltsters each month. It's about $45 for sack of Briess 2 row and he has a bunch of other options too. You pick it up your order in Fenton, it's worked great for me.

Thanks for the recommendation! I actually just find out about his store a couple days ago and will be checking it out soon.

At Lowes a food grade 5 gallon bucket is $4.48 vs $2.98 for a non-food grade bucket. Personally, I'll happily pay $1.50 for peace of mind. I've got 6 filled with grain right now.

Good call. I have something I need to return there anyway, so I'll pick up a couple of those buckets tomorrow. Thanks!

Back