Building new lid/collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I just bought a bigger chest freezer to replace my 7 cu ft one. Right now the collar is attached to the freezer and the original lid lifts up. I'm thinking for my new one, I want to build a collar and lid that is all one piece. This way I don't have to figure out how to get the collar to attach to the lid and I can keep the lid new in case I need to get warranty work done.

For those that have a set up like this, could you post pics? And what wood did you use?

I just bought a bigger chest freezer to replace my 7 cu ft one. Right now the collar is attached to the freezer and the original lid lifts up. I'm thinking for my new one, I want to build a collar and lid that is all one piece. This way I don't have to figure out how to get the collar to attach to the lid and I can keep the lid new in case I need to get warranty work done.

For those that have a set up like this, could you post pics? And what wood did you use?

I used the method that many others have used in my build: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/new-keezer-build.664378/

The collar is 3/4" Cherry plywood that was doubled up (wider on the outside to go over the front and sides of the freezer for stability). The collar just sits on the freezer lip and slides over the freezer. Then you attached the lid to the collar itself keeping the freezer 100% unmodified.

I’m not sure I understand your end goal. With a “standard” collar, the original lid is usually untouched, just screwed into the collar instead of the freezer cabinet (sounds like what you currently have). Are you looking at creating a collar and lid together and hinging the full assembly?

I used the method that many others have used in my build: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/new-keezer-build.664378/

The collar is 3/4" Cherry plywood that was doubled up (wider on the outside to go over the front and sides of the freezer for stability). The collar just sits on the freezer lip and slides over the freezer. Then you attached the lid to the collar itself keeping the freezer 100% unmodified.

My current keezer is like that (the only difference is mine is flush with the outside freezer wall). I want my new one to be attached to the lid which is why I feel it would be easier to make a new lid using some type of plywood attached to the collar.

I’m not sure I understand your end goal. With a “standard” collar, the original lid is usually untouched, just screwed into the collar instead of the freezer cabinet (sounds like what you currently have). Are you looking at creating a collar and lid together and hinging the full assembly?

Right, that is what I currently have. Collar sits on the freezer and the freezer lid opens normally. I want the collar and lid to be one piece on my new one. I feel this would be a much better set up. I can get the taps and coiled up lines out of the way when the freezer is open.

Gotcha! Who knows, your approach may be the next “standard” Keezer in years to come.
Another side benefit would be a lower lip to lift full kegs over. @PlexVector tackled that issue with a unique build as well. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/chest-chamber-collar-project.668538/

My initial thought on this build would be to concentrate on making it strong, and not adding unnecessary weight. The top would probably be best to be built instead of reusing the factory top (sounds like that’s the direction you were heading anyway).
I laminated 1/2” plywood on mine that might fit the bill for the strength/weight part if a top was added to strengthen the corners. If you have way too much free time and your sanity is suspect, you could even take a page from my build and fiberglass it!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fiberglass-a-twist-on-an-old-faithful-design.639796/

Yeah I was planning on using 1/2" plywood as the top. I think that should be strong enough. I'm just not sure if I should be a few cross sections for strength. Or maybe another plywood layer inside.

Jesus, that's a pretty cool keezer lol No I don't think I'm going to go crazy and use fiberglass.

You could start with a single layer and add support as needed. Stringers would be nice to keep weight to a minimum but would complicate insulating a bit.

Nice! I double hinged mine. Not because of my back or anything, though. I just had an extra set of hinges around. Each part opens up 90 degrees... about twice as much as in the pic. You can either lift just the lid, just the the collar, or both.

mSYGov7.jpg

This forum never ceases to amaze! Maybe @kevink can give you some good lessons learned!

Back