Building Kegerator, deciding tap placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
So I have a kegerator I'm building with a 4 foot fridge. I've taken the shelving unit off the door and I'm ready to start drilling. My plan is to eventually make it a four tap kegerator but that will be in the future when I have more funds. What is preventing me from continuing is where and what height I should put the tap. Since I've removed the shelves, I really can put the taps anywhere I want which makes the placement easier. What I'm having trouble deciding is where. My fridge opens from the right (swings left) and it has a freezer on top. I would like to put it up high so I'm not bending when I dispense my beer but, I don't want to accidentally open the freezer and have beer poring out accidently. My ideas I had was either a) take a metal plate and bolt the freezer door and the refrigerator door together so they open together, b) have the taps come out of the freezer door (which would require drilling into the freezer which is probably not a good idea) or c) keep the handles low and deal with bending down a little to get the beer. What do y'all suggest?

I'm 5' 7"
Here is the fridge.
1896944_710758618964999_397412394_n.jpg

This is my first kegerator I'm building.

Just put them low enough so your tap handles will clear the upper door, plus a few inches.........You won't be bending over to pour.

Unless ya' just gotta' have some of those big fancy tap handles..........:D

Just put them low enough so your tap handles will clear the upper door, plus a few inches.........You won't be bending over to pour.

Unless ya' just gotta' have some of those big fancy tap handles..........:D

I'm actually planning on making some custom handles. Which reminds me, I need to go out to the homebrew store to get a tap handle. The last stainless steel tap they had was just the faucet. Figured if I was going to go get stainless steel in the future, might as well skip over the chrome faucet (plus chrome in my beer doesn't sound delicious).

Ok so I guess I was just overthinking it again (I need to stop doing that). Grabbed a glass and looked how low I can hold the glass. Got an idea now.

Back