Building brew pot and mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
I'm building my keggle and mash tun using the 10 gallon home depot cooler. My friend is using his arc welder to weld the fittings to the keggle and then I'm going to make a copper dip tube on the inside.
The copper on the I side is the L type, and as long as I use sodder that is good for drinking water I'll be ok rigt?

I'm building my keggle and mash tun using the 10 gallon home depot cooler. My friend is using his arc welder to weld the fittings to the keggle and then I'm going to make a copper dip tube on the inside.
The copper on the I side is the L type, and as long as I use sodder that is good for drinking water I'll be ok rigt?

Is your friend a good welder? Can he do sanitary welds? If not, I would just get weldless fittings. The word "arc" welder when combined with keggle scares me.

If your welding in a full coupling then using a threaded copper adapter there really isn't a need to solder the adapter to the dip tube. Screw the adapter into the coupling, press-fit the dip tube in and brew-on! you can disassemble it for cleaning and it should be able to maintain a siphon to get all the wort out of the bottom. So long as the welds are liquid tight then you have nothing to worry about in the boil kettle, since it is self sterilizing during the boil. Just make sure he picks up some stainless rod as regular carbon rod will rust. grind/cleanup the welds then hit them with some bar keeps friend to get a layer of oxide and you should prevent any further rusting of the welds.

Just put the dip tube together. Just as you said. Thanks for the advice.

just put the manifold together for the 10 gallon home depot cooler mash tun.
i've heard a lot of people say dont solder, so i probably wont, it seems to stay together well on its own. i have a T at the bottom of the manifold that connects to a fitting via a straight piece of pipe. should i just let the back part of the manifold (opposite the outlet) sit on the bottom, in which case the manifold would be angled down, or should i support it so the whole manifold is in line with the outlet of the cooler?

Latest posts

Back