Building a "weldless Wallace"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeramI

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the process of building a HERMS like the weldless Wallace. I read that the heat has an effect on the galvanized steel. Can I paint it with a high heat paint before using it or do I have to use it a few times first? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

:mug:

Paint has a habit of not liking to stick to galvanized metal out of the box. If you clean it with acid, it should stick. I've used both meratic acid (wear gloves) and external coil cleaner (I used to work in HVAC) and they both work. If it were me, though, I'd prep it with acid and take it somewhere to get powder coated.

definitely want to seal up the galvanized parts. When in contact with high heat they give off dangerous fumes

On the powder coating the galvanized after "etching" with an acid, MOST powder coating outfits won't stand behind their product over galvanizing......Etched or not.

This from experience, as I used to work for a powder coating company.

Just for your info, the galvanizing is a form of a "sacrificial" coating.
You may not notice it "sacrificing" itself much, but it does, and the bond of the powder to zinc galvanizing suffers.

Might take a long time, might take a year, but you will notice some degradation in the coating.

Things and chemistry may have changed since I did it, so check with a powder coater.

Latest posts

Back