Building a dubbel grain bill - any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
I'm trying to devise my first dubbel recipe. The title says it all - does anyone have any advice on building a grain bill?

Thanks!

Pilsner, dark syrup and, optionally, another malt.

How essential is candi syrup? Looking at Brew Like a Monk, while some Belgian and most US examples involve candi sugars, other Belgian examples (e.g. Chimay Red) only note 'sugar'.

The syrups by CSI add great flavors that some of the sugars do not. I would definitely use the syrup if you can get it. I would go with the 45 or maybe the 90 for a dubbel (I prefer the 45). Pils, some caramunich and a small amount of Special B. Hop using noble hops. (I like Saaz) to a BU: GU ratio of .292. Then yeast of your choice. I like 3787 a lot. But othher yeasts are good too.

If you want a good example of what each yeast tastes like. Here are some refences. 1214 is the Chimay yeast. 1762 is the Rochefort strain. 3787 is the Westmalle strain. They each are different and produce different brews.

Pitch in the mid 60's and hold it there for a 2-3 days then let the temp rise after that. Once fementation begins to slow make sure the temp does not drop.

I love e a good dubbel. I may have to have one later this evening.

Was planning for this to be ready at Christmas, so perhaps more complex to bring out fruity and other seasonal flavours.

Don't mistake complexity of the grain bill with complexity of the finished beer. A simple grist of pilsner malt with candi syrup can make a rich and complex beer. As JKaranka said, you could also add a small amount of a specialty malt - special B is good.

I love a blend of the deep amber and mahogany sugars from this thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=114837
in dark Belgian beers (unfortunately, CSI sugars aren't available where I live, and are possibly not available in Wales either). Don't forget the yeast and yeast management as a big consideration in your recipe - WLP530 pitched at 17C and ramped up (or allowed to free-rise) by 1 degree C per day up to 25C is a good, safe option.

How essential is candi syrup? Looking at Brew Like a Monk, while some Belgian and most US examples involve candi sugars, other Belgian examples (e.g. Chimay Red) only note 'sugar'.

Sugar is (technically.....other ingredient(s) are used up/evaporate in the process of making the syrup) the only ingredient in sugar syrups, so that's all they'd have to list even if they were using syrups.

Ha, just noticed the OP is also in Cardiff, never seen that before... my experience with Belgian styles is that the more stupidly simple you keep it the more like the real thing it becomes...

Ha, just noticed the OP is also in Cardiff, never seen that before... my experience with Belgian styles is that the more stupidly simple you keep it the more like the real thing it becomes...

Ha! We're taking over HBT...

I'm now leaning towards pils, caramunich, and dark syrup. Possibly a little Special B. Sound promising based on your experience?

I've seen dark syrup for sale on some UK home brew sites, but might try to make my own instead...

I make my own Candi syrup (using DAP), I enjoy the flavors it gives, but I find it lending less complexity than commercially available syrups. Its insanely cheaper though, so I use it - and to achieve the desired complexity I will add some crystal malts.
My favorite Dubble recipe -
German Pilsner Base
6% Caramunich
6% Deep amber syrup
2% Special B

Ferment with 3787, and grown-up dregs from the Bruery's Mischief

Here is a review of it:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/37809/187272/

I make my own Candi syrup (using DAP), I enjoy the flavors it gives, but I find it lending less complexity than commercially available syrups.

Try blending mahogany syrup with deep amber syrup. Mahogony on its own is a bit tart, but has beautiful rummy, raisin and woody flavours coming through. Deep amber syrup has stone fruits and caramel and is still sweet - blending them is sublime. I can't compare to commercial syrups though, because I haven't used them.

Try blending mahogany syrup with deep amber syrup. Mahogony on its own is a bit tart, but has beautiful rummy, raisin and woody flavours coming through. Deep amber syrup has stone fruits and caramel and is still sweet - blending them is sublime.

I will have to try that next time, Thanks! BTW, I assume you are doing a 1:1 ratio of syrups?

Back